MP Alex Norris’ border collies Corona (left) and Boomer were last year’s winners (Picture: PA) Cockapoo Corbyn, belonging to Mike Amesbury MP, was the winner of 2018’s Pawblic Vote (Picture: PA) MP Jo Platt got off to a good start last year with Lurcher Pam (Picture: PA)‘This is due to concerns about the increase in protests around Parliament; ensuring the safety of the dogs and the MPs taking part is absolute priority.
• I was cheered in hard times to hear on Radio 5 Live that Michael Gove had stated that “he was ready to leave the country”. • Join the debate – email [email protected] • Read more Guardian letters – click here to visit
Just look at them (Picture: Alamy Live News/ PA)Let’s be honest, everyone’s favourite part of elections is seeing dogs at polling stations. Brits are taking their four-legged friends to vote in the European Parliament elections at polling stations across the UK today.
Bad boy vs good boy (Picture: Twitter)There might be some very important local elections going on today, but let’s be honest, we only care about adorable dogs at polling stations. The hashtag #DogsAtPollingStations took off again on Twitter, following what has now become a tradition on election days.
A happy side-effect of votes these days is that they also become a time to enjoy some first rate pictures of dogs at polling stations, as many voters take some very, ahem, fetching snaps of their four-legged pals before outside the building where they’re due to vote .
Brandy the Staffie came within a whisker of dying as vets battled for nearly five hours to remove the inch-thick piece of branch from her body.Astonishingly, the stick managed to miss major blood vessels when it pierced Brandy’s mouth, shot down her throat and finally lodged in her chest.Shocked owner Sophia-Jayne Lye rushed the badly wounded pet to the nearby PDSA Thamesmead Pet Hospital in south east London where surgeons began touch-and-go surgery.Today the owner described the horrific scenes when Brandy collapsed in the garden after swallowing the stick.The owner said: “I was inside when I heard my daughter screaming.
Somehow the three poles had missed his vital organs.There was still need for two further operations, provided at Hendon PDSA Pet Hospital, but within weeks Skittles was out exploring again and his latest photograph gives no clue to his death-defying antics.WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGE BELOWSkittles the cat impaled on railings (Image: RSPCA)Skittles was rescued by London Fire Brigade (Image: RSPCA)RSPCA Deputy Chief Inspector Nicole Broster, who was one of the first on the scene, said: “In all my years with the RSPCA I had never seen anything like this.