'Stay four koalas apart': an animal hospital's response to coronavirus – in pictures

'Stay four koalas apart': an animal hospital's response to coronavirus – in pictures

“It was a place where the students in my day used to celebrate the end of their faculty dinners with a keg into the wee hours, so it’s got a lot sentimental value,” says the hospital’s CEO, Dr Mark Lawrie.

Moment paramedics treat man high on monkey dust who stabbed police dog

Moment paramedics treat man high on monkey dust who stabbed police dog

Paramedics persevere with their jobs despite O’Sullivan spitting and acting aggressively (Picture: UKTV) The footage is part of a new series of Inside The Ambulance (Picture: UKTV) O’Sullivan ended up being the first person to be convicted under Finn’s Law – created to protect police dogs in the line of duty (Picture: UKTV).

Hot cross buns are toxic for dogs so don’t give in to their puppy eyes

Hot cross buns are toxic for dogs so don’t give in to their puppy eyes

Dr Laura Playforth, professional standards director for out-of-hours pet care firm Vets Now, said: ‘It’s unclear exactly what causes the toxic effects of raisins but just one can kill a susceptible dog so real caution should be taken with foods, like hot cross buns, that contain them.

Coronavirus UK: Vets reassure owners they can still take their pets despite lockdown

Coronavirus UK: Vets reassure owners they can still take their pets despite lockdown

If it’s an emergency, you can still go to the vet with your pet (Picture: Getty Images/Cultura RF)With the world in upheaval due to COVID-19, previously-important things like MOTs and dental checkups have gone out the window.

First aid tips for dogs

First aid tips for dogs

A: Yes. First aid is an emergency procedure to save the life of your pet, so anybody who observes the injury or trauma first can provide aid.Your presence of mind in letting your vet know about the ingested poison can save your pet’s life.

Puppy almost killed by chocolate biscuits, prompting warning to dog owners

Puppy almost killed by chocolate biscuits, prompting warning to dog owners

The puppy was given emergency medication by PDSA vet Paul Cossey to make her sick and prevent further absorption of theobromine, the chemical in chocolate that can prove deadly for pets .

Toddler nearly blinded when dog attacked after she gave it a stroke

Toddler nearly blinded when dog attacked after she gave it a stroke

Isla Williams had been trying to stroke the dog (Picture: Wessex News)A two-year-old girl was nearly blinded during a family day out after a dog lunged for her face, narrowly missing her eye. The dog lunged for her face (Picture: Wessex News).

Dog Hitches Ride On Ambulance Step, Shocks Drivers

Dog Hitches Ride On Ambulance Step, Shocks Drivers

Gaitain reports Nicholson had a short stay in the hospital and was released the same day and brought out to see his dog. He didn’t have to go to the hospital with me, but he did,” said Nicholson.

Marmite the dog was saved by vets after swallowing two whole kebabs

Marmite the dog was saved by vets after swallowing two whole kebabs

Marmite is doing okay now (Picture: SWNS)A dog was saved by vets after he swallowed two chicken kebabs with the wooden skewers still intact. Marmite underwent an emergency three-hour operation to remove the skewers – with chicken and peppers still attached – at the Avonvale Veterinary Centre in Warwick.

Police Stop Train to Save Dog Tied to Tracks

Police Stop Train to Save Dog Tied to Tracks

A dog was recused by Tampa police Wednesday night after being tied to the railroad tracks and shot at, reported by M. Tampa police received three phone calls about shots being fired which lead them to the dog tied to the tracks with a belt.

Doggy-paddle and super vets save pet from dying in near-freezing swimming pool

Doggy-paddle and super vets save pet from dying in near-freezing swimming pool

A MIRACLE saw a pet survived being trapped in a near-freezing swimming pool for six hours because of its desperate doggy-paddle and the brilliance of emergency vets.

Hero Pilot Makes Emergency Landing to Save a Dog From Freezing

Hero Pilot Makes Emergency Landing to Save a Dog From Freezing

An Air Canada pilot is being hailed as a hero after his plane, traveling from Tel Aviv to Toronto, experienced a heating system malfunction in the plane’s cargo hold. The pilot diverted the plane to Frankfurt, Germany where Simba was placed on a new flight.

Adorable kitten fighting for life after eating flower pollen – 'Small amount can be fatal'

Adorable kitten fighting for life after eating flower pollen – 'Small amount can be fatal'

Suspecting Luna had swallowed lily pollen, the quick-thinking owner knew her pet needed expensive emergency treatment. Veterinary care assistant at PDSA Jemma Hughes explains: “Lilies have become quite popular in Easter bouquets, but all parts of the plant, including the flower and leaves are toxic to cats.

Puppy’s kisses for hero firefighter who rescued him from rocks

Puppy’s kisses for hero firefighter who rescued him from rocks

He carefully pulls the dog backwards from the rocks (Picture: North Charleston Fire Department) Bikers had heard it whimpering and contacted emergency services (Picture: North Charleston Fire Department) The puppy was so happy to be free (Picture: North Charleston Fire Department)The heartwarming moment that follows shows how grateful the pup is to be free.

True heroes: Police dogs honoured for gallant actions during London's 2017 terror attacks

True heroes: Police dogs honoured for gallant actions during London's 2017 terror attacks

Hero dogs of London attacks at Borough Market (Image: PDSA)Nineteen search dogs played a vital role in the aftermath of the onslaught on the capital, seeking suspects and detecting explosives to keep the public safe when terrorists struck at both London and Westminster Bridges as well as Borough Market two years ago.

Dog walking injuries are on the rise, especially among women, new study finds

Dog walking injuries are on the rise, especially among women, new study finds

“But it’s not unusual to see someone with a hip fracture from falling during a dog walk which unfortunately can be a life-altering injury.” People most at risk are women over the age of 65, according a University of Pennsylvania Medicine study published Wednesday in JAMA Surgery.

Fury after emaciated dog found tied to fence - 'It must have been TERRIFYING for him'

Fury after emaciated dog found tied to fence - 'It must have been TERRIFYING for him'

There are plenty of animal charities in the UK ready to offer help.” It is not known how long Mario was tied to fence (Image: RSPCA) Lead and chain used to tie Mario to fence show signs of wear (Image: RSPCA) Appealing for help to trace those who abandoned Mario, the RSPCA investigator urged angry members of the public not to call its emergency line unless they had information.

Snow WARNING for dogs: Family pets IN DANGER of heat stroke if they play out in the cold

Snow WARNING for dogs: Family pets IN DANGER of heat stroke if they play out in the cold

“It took about four days for Charlie to recover at home as his muscles were sore and I also had to keep him calm, which wasn’t easy.” With the coldest weather of the winter striking the UK this week, bringing snows and heavy frosts, Vets Now are warning how pets can be at risk from heat stroke and hyperthermia – conditions normally associated with hot summer months.

‘It was quite entertaining’ RSPCA reveals its most 'laugh-out-loud’ animal rescues

‘It was quite entertaining’ RSPCA reveals its most 'laugh-out-loud’ animal rescues

"Deadly scorpion" sparked fear on the streets (Image: RSPCA) RSPCA animal collection officer Paula Jones responded to the emergency, finding the callers had cordoned off the venomous creature with cones while also keeping the public at a safe distance.

'It's a miracle' Puppy survives being plucked from ground by hawk mistaking him for prey

'It's a miracle' Puppy survives being plucked from ground by hawk mistaking him for prey

The terrifying view the puppy would have had of red-tailed hawk (Image: GETTY) Red-tailed hawk swooping down on squirrel (Image: GETTY) In a reminder to pet owners to beware the threat from wild creatures, the Austin Animal Center told Facebook followers: “This teeny tiny guy was picked up by a hawk and then subsequently dropped from mid-air.