“What that sanitizer does is it can make it more likely to crack and to be more sensitive to having their foot pads burned when they're out on walks.”.As a veterinarian, Becker said he often sees dogs with burned paws due to walking on hot concrete or asphalt.
Christmas trees aren’t a hazard to your cats and dogs by being poisonous, but the RSPCA advise that your pets only be allowed around the tree when supervised.
One of the great things about the holidays is to see people close to you who don’t see them and eat delicious foods that you don’t always cook, such as the famous grandmother’s pie in the USA!Since it is only once a year, your pet may not be focused on during the celebration, and its safety may not be of concern to all the bifurcated events of the day.
A mystery sickness has struck dozens of dogs in Norway , killing at least 25 and prompting authorities to warn owners to keep their pets on a lead and away from other canines until the cause is established.
If people cannot afford to take their pet to the vet to establish the cause of death, they are advised either to have the rabbit properly cremated or, if they choose a garden burial, to carefully wrap their pet in plastic first to reduce the risk of the virus spreading.
VETS made a “surprise” find when they operated on a seriously ill dog feared to be suffering from cancer – they discovered the mischievous pet had swallowed a Kinder Surprise egg.
Chocolates : Theobromine, a chemical compound found in chocolates, is toxic for cats and can cause seizures, tremors, abnormal heart beat, even death. If your pet shows signs of tremors, diarrhoea, take him/her to your veterinarian for immediate medical attention.
In a statement, Anderson Moores, who are based in Winchester, Hampshire, close to one of the major hotspots for cases, said: “We are in the time of year when historically we have identified more cases of CRGV and although this disease remains rare, we continue to advise owners to be vigilant and to seek advice from their local vet if their dog develops unexplained skin lesions and sores.
Although an environmental trigger for this disease is possible, this has not been proven.” Map shows the east-west divide of Alabama Rot incidence (Image: Vets4Pets) Tell-tale skin lesion that is the first sign of Alabama Rot (Image: : Anderson Moores Veterinary Specialists) Scientists believe the way the disease is evident during the winter months and centred on certain areas of the country will produce the vital evidence to help them establish its cause and also provide an eventual cure.
Inflammatory bowel disease, or IBD, often is misused in veterinary circles as a catchall term for chronic gastrointestinal diseases—not unlike when we humans say we have a cold, but we don’t know what virus is causing it.
Today leading veterinary charity PDSA warned pet owners to always seek urgent veterinary advice if animals swallow items feared to be potentially harmful.Kevin’s owners Steve and Frances Gwillim had taken their two year old family pet to the Swansea PDSA Hospital when he went off his food and became increasingly distant.PDSA vet Lucy Knight said: “When Kevin was brought in he was very unwell and had a lot of tummy pain.“We carried out x-rays and were gobsmacked when we saw this coin on the screen.
Pills or chews that protect dogs and cats against fleas can cause neurological problems such as stumbling or seizures, and pet owners need more warning, the Food and Drug Administration said Thursday.
Ian explains that our phone dependency affects dogs more so than cats because dogs are pack animals, and look to their humans for leadership and reassurance. ‘You do that consistently for weeks, months and years on end and you’re going to get some real behavioural issues.’
Chocolates have caffeine and theobromine that can cause anything from vomiting to seizure. Even small quantities of grapes and raisins can make your pet sick with vomiting and exhaustion. Adult dogs and cats cannot digest milk and other dairy products.
Campaigners say this can disrupt a dog’s sensitive sense of smell, while other collars emit sounds which are painful for animals.Using electric collars on animals will be banned (Image: PA)The RSPCA’s dog welfare expert, Dr Samantha Gaines applauded the government’s move to ban shock collars.Dr Gaines said: “These cruel collars have been illegal in Wales since 2010 and we've long been calling for them to be outlawed in England too.
“We urge pet-owners to be cautious when grit is being spread on roads, as rock salt can be toxic to dogs and cats if they lick it from their paws or fur,” a spokesperson told The Independent.