Bonnie the Staffy gets tongue stuck in tuna can after sneaking into the bin

Bonnie the Staffy gets tongue stuck in tuna can after sneaking into the bin

Louisa was worried about removing the tin herself so rushed her to the vets (Picture: PDSA) They had to put her under anaesthetic(Picture: PDSA)Louise took Bonnie to Nottingham PDSA Pet Hospital, where vets are running an emergency-service during lockdown.

Dog weighs twice what she should thanks to love of cheesy crisps

Dog weighs twice what she should thanks to love of cheesy crisps

(Picture: CATERS NEWS AGENCY)‘Skylar eats absolutely everything, and it’s very difficult to say no when she gives you those puppy-dog eyes.Skylar has joined the PDSA Pet Fit Club (Picture: CATERS NEWS AGENCY)Mandy said: ‘Skylar just loves to snack.

Puppy almost killed after gobbling two packs of bourbons

Puppy almost killed after gobbling two packs of bourbons

Zeena had to undergo life-saving treatment (Picture: PA)PDSA vet Paul Cossey gave Zeena emergency medication to make her sick and prevent further absorption of theobromine, the chemical in chocolate that can be fatally toxic to pets.

Puppy almost killed by chocolate biscuits, prompting warning to dog owners

Puppy almost killed by chocolate biscuits, prompting warning to dog owners

The puppy was given emergency medication by PDSA vet Paul Cossey to make her sick and prevent further absorption of theobromine, the chemical in chocolate that can prove deadly for pets .

Podgy pug who loves leftovers will compete to lose weight

Podgy pug who loves leftovers will compete to lose weight

Percy gained weight thanks to a passion for chicken and leftover dinners (Picture: PDSA/PA)The three-year-old dog needs to lose eight pounds to reach his ideal weight, and will do so with the help of his owner Chloe Morrison and guidance on a diet and exercise plan from the Pet Fit Club.

Adorable kitten fighting for life after eating flower pollen – 'Small amount can be fatal'

Adorable kitten fighting for life after eating flower pollen – 'Small amount can be fatal'

Suspecting Luna had swallowed lily pollen, the quick-thinking owner knew her pet needed expensive emergency treatment. Veterinary care assistant at PDSA Jemma Hughes explains: “Lilies have become quite popular in Easter bouquets, but all parts of the plant, including the flower and leaves are toxic to cats.

True heroes: Police dogs honoured for gallant actions during London's 2017 terror attacks

True heroes: Police dogs honoured for gallant actions during London's 2017 terror attacks

Hero dogs of London attacks at Borough Market (Image: PDSA)Nineteen search dogs played a vital role in the aftermath of the onslaught on the capital, seeking suspects and detecting explosives to keep the public safe when terrorists struck at both London and Westminster Bridges as well as Borough Market two years ago.

Dog rushed in for EMERGENCY SURGERY after swallowing toy poo emoji

Dog rushed in for EMERGENCY SURGERY after swallowing toy poo emoji

Playful Teddy the Lhasa Apso swallowed dog poo toy (Image: PDSA) Rather than leaving a mess, the mischievous pooch swallowed a dog’s poo emoji toy and had to undergo emergency surgery.

CAT CRISIS: UK overpopulation nightmare sees RSPCA make 60 rescues A DAY

CAT CRISIS: UK overpopulation nightmare sees RSPCA make 60 rescues A DAY

The Cat Population Control Group (CPCG) – made up of a number of animal welfare groups, including the RSPCA, Cats Protection, Battersea Cats and Dogs Home, Blue Cross, PDSA and Vets 4 Pets, believes having kittens spayed when they reach four months of age rather than at the traditional six months stage will help reduce these figures.

Britain’s heaviest moggie? Fat Cat Pompom becomes pet fitness cheerleader

Britain’s heaviest moggie? Fat Cat Pompom becomes pet fitness cheerleader

He has to walk for his dry food from one room to the other and I hope it will help him to be slim before spring time.” Pompom with owner Joanna Klosowska (Image: PDSA) Pompom tips the scales at more than 21lb - twice the weight of a healthy cat (Image: PDSA) Mrs Klosowska put Pompom on a diet after receiving advice from vets at the PDSA.

Hero dog walker saves pet with 'mouth to snout' resuscitation and CPR – 'Incredibly lucky'

Hero dog walker saves pet with 'mouth to snout' resuscitation and CPR – 'Incredibly lucky'

Travis has been diagnosed with a heart condition (Image: PDSA) "During the drive, the dog stopped breathing again, and Karen had to instruct 19 year old daughter Emily how to resuscitate while she drove.

Pudgy pug who weighs MORE THAN A TODDLER made pin-up for pet weight-loss club

Pudgy pug who weighs MORE THAN A TODDLER made pin-up for pet weight-loss club

Podgy pug Sugar is double her ideal weight (Image: PDSA) Twelve-year old Sugar piled on the pounds by not getting enough exercise but she has now been selected for the PDSA’s famous Pet Fit Club to help her fight the flab.

Is your dog depressed? Blue Monday nightmare as owners' woes make pets' lives miserable

Is your dog depressed? Blue Monday nightmare as owners' woes make pets' lives miserable

Blue Monday a crisis time for pets (Image: PDSA) Rabbits are happier when they can form social bonds (Image: GETTY) Vet Anderson-Nathan added: “Too much time indoors without enough exercise leads to health problems on a much larger scale, such as obesity.

Killer compost warning after dogs nearly die eating rotting potatoes

Killer compost warning after dogs nearly die eating rotting potatoes

Cleo (bottom) and Cobi who are on the mend after being rushed to an animal hospital (Picture: PA) Senior PDSA vet Andrew Hunt said of the incident: ‘As foods rot, the mould that occurs can produce compounds called mycotoxins.

THE BIGGEST LOSER... pet edition! Competition celebrates animals' fight to lose weight

THE BIGGEST LOSER... pet edition! Competition celebrates animals' fight to lose weight

Bulging Borris the joint winner in Pet Fit Club contest (Image: PDSA) Lardy Labrador Sadie was 41 per cent over her ideal weight (Image: PDSA) Slimline Sadie has lost almost two stone (Image: PDSA) Fat-busting Borris now weighs a trim 3st 4lbs (Image: PDSA) Owner Annmarie, 46, from Deal, Kent, described how Borris has become a different animal since embarking on his fitness regime.

Pet Survivor of the Year: Miracle cat shot through the mouth picks up top award

Pet Survivor of the Year: Miracle cat shot through the mouth picks up top award

"Thanks so much to our vets, and to PDSA for recognising our little miracle cat like this.” Dexter - Pet Survivor of the Year after he was shot (Image: PDSA) Pet Survivor Dexter inspects his trophy and owners Ruth and John Lewis (Image: PDSA) There were signs that something was terribly wrong when Dexter returned home one morning in July covered in blood and dragging his leg.

SHOCK WARNING: Cat POISONED after swallowing 'TOXIC 5p coin'

SHOCK WARNING: Cat POISONED after swallowing 'TOXIC 5p coin'

Today leading veterinary charity PDSA warned pet owners to always seek urgent veterinary advice if animals swallow items feared to be potentially harmful.Kevin’s owners Steve and Frances Gwillim had taken their two year old family pet to the Swansea PDSA Hospital when he went off his food and became increasingly distant.PDSA vet Lucy Knight said: “When Kevin was brought in he was very unwell and had a lot of tummy pain.“We carried out x-rays and were gobsmacked when we saw this coin on the screen.

Pet Survivor Awards 2018: Dog almost killed by a game of fetch named as award finalist

Pet Survivor Awards 2018: Dog almost killed by a game of fetch named as award finalist

Brandy the Staffie came within a whisker of dying as vets battled for nearly five hours to remove the inch-thick piece of branch from her body.Astonishingly, the stick managed to miss major blood vessels when it pierced Brandy’s mouth, shot down her throat and finally lodged in her chest.Shocked owner Sophia-Jayne Lye rushed the badly wounded pet to the nearby PDSA Thamesmead Pet Hospital in south east London where surgeons began touch-and-go surgery.Today the owner described the horrific scenes when Brandy collapsed in the garden after swallowing the stick.The owner said: “I was inside when I heard my daughter screaming.

Pet Survivor Awards 2018: Cat who survived being impaledshortlisted for top award

Pet Survivor Awards 2018: Cat who survived being impaledshortlisted for top award

Somehow the three poles had missed his vital organs.There was still need for two further operations, provided at Hendon PDSA Pet Hospital, but within weeks Skittles was out exploring again and his latest photograph gives no clue to his death-defying antics.WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGE BELOWSkittles the cat impaled on railings (Image: RSPCA)Skittles was rescued by London Fire Brigade (Image: RSPCA)RSPCA Deputy Chief Inspector Nicole Broster, who was one of the first on the scene, said: “In all my years with the RSPCA I had never seen anything like this.

Pet Survivor Awards 2018: Miracle cat who struggled home after being shot in the mouth

Pet Survivor Awards 2018: Miracle cat who struggled home after being shot in the mouth

The shocking act of cruelty saw a high-velocity slug fracture Dexter’s jaw before passing out through his neck, leaving bits of metal embedded in his skull.Yet the jet black cat’s luck held out and his miracle recovery today sees him nominated for Pet Survivor of the Year 2018.He is one of three cats, the others are Maximus and Skittles, as well as Brandy the dog, who are competing for the prestigious title in a public vote for the award from the veterinary charity, PDSA.

More