It took the SDP some six years and two general elections to accept that the game was up for remaining the central party. From what is now occurring (Leader’s call for tactical vote ‘bizarre’, says Soubry , 28 May), it seems likely the newly formed Change UK will reach the same conclusion in less than a year.
• I’m delighted that Javier Larragoiti has developed a satisfactory sugar alternative (Diabetic father gave chemist a prize idea , 28 May). However, it would have been useful to note that even small amounts of xylitol, such as in a piece of chewing gum, can be fatal to dogs.
• Reading the piece about the battle for girls being able to play rugby, football and cricket at school (Shortcuts , G2, 28 May), I am curious to know if the same emphasis is being placed on opportunities for boys to do the traditional girls’ offerings of dance, gymnastics and netball?
• Imprecations fail me. Glasgow Celtic , a club known, admired and loved all over the world for their brand of open attacking football, won a historic treble on Saturday, and yet there was no mention of this wonderful feat in Monday’s Guardian.
• I was cheered in hard times to hear on Radio 5 Live that Michael Gove had stated that “he was ready to leave the country”. Unfortunately, the reception was bad and I later realised that he had said he was ready to lead the country.
• Join the debate – email[email protected]
• Read more Guardian letters – click here to visitgu.com/letters
• Do you have a photo you’d like to share with Guardian readers?Click here to upload it and we’ll publish the best submissions in the letters spread of our print edition