'Worst day ever' Horror dog warning after pet falls ill after ingesting 'drugs' in park

A DOG owner has issued a warning after her dog fell ill after walking in a park

willow

Willow became really ill after ingesting what was believed to be drugs in St George Park (Image: Caz Andrews) Sign up for FREE for latest news plus tips to save money and the environment Invalid email

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you've consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Willow the Cockapoo was on her daily morning walk when she is believed to have consumed "cannabis" or "opiate-based" drug in the park - and subsequently lost the use of her legs.

Is it a duck…or a dog? The Newfoundland breed has a water resistant coat and webbed feet. This dog was originally bred to help haul nets for fishermen and rescuing people at risk of drowning.

The owner of one-year-old Willow has urged the public to put rubbish in bins - as she fears the same could happen to other animals.The pair were walking in St George Park in Bristol at the time of the incident.

When she returned home from the walk, she discovered the young pooch was sick and had lost the use of her legs - so she quickly rushed her to a nearby vet.

Willow's owner, Caz, 40, told BristolLive: "I took her to Vets4Pets in Kingswood and they kept her in all day. They said she had neurological symptoms and had suffered from toxic poisoning from cannabis or an opiate-based drug."

It's certainly unpleasant to take your dog outside when it's snowing or raining, but don't forget that dogs' paws are just as sensitive to heat as human skin.

dog on lead

Owners are warned of discarded drugs when out walking (Image: Getty)Caz regularly carries out litter picks at the park with her 13-year-old son Spencer and said it is cared for well by the local Friends of St George Park group.

But the incident has left her fearful it could happen to another dog or a child.

After the incident, she wrote on social media: "PLEASE TAKE YOUR RUBBISH, DRUGS, CANS, BOTTLES AND ANYTHING ELSE HOME OR PUT IT IN THE BIN!! This has been the worst day ever!!

READ MORE: Patient dog still waiting for forever home after almost 500 days

st george park

Police at St George Park in Bristol where Willow ingested the substance (Image: PA)"Poor Willow has spent the day in the veterinary surgery and we are now nursing her at home hoping she will be OK. Let’s keep our parks clean, green and safe for everyone to use."

Use Covers to Keep Your Furniture Fur Free. Do you allow your pets on the furniture? If you do you’re well aware of how hard is to keep them clean. My favorite tip for keeping your furniture clean and fur free is to use a cover. You can use sheets, blankets or slip covers — and if you want something to match your decor you can get them custom made. When it’s cleaning time you just throw those covers in the wash & you’re good to go.

Thankfully, Willow has made a good recovery after being treated at the vet following the incident.

A similar incident occurred in Nottingham only a few weeks prior. Two dogs appeared "lifeless" after consuming cannabis while out on a walk in a nature reserveDON'T MISS: Rescue dog who watched 7 siblings get new homes still waiting [INSIGHT]Expat found dead down a deep well with his pet dog [COMMENT]Dog horror warning as Pets at Home withdraws products after dog dies [ANALYSIS]

Dogs

Owners are warned of potential symptoms if their dog has ingested an illicit substance (Image: Getty)

At the time, the local surgery posted a warning online saying that in just four days they had seen two dogs with neurological signs following ingestion of marijuana.

Be realistic. Unrealistic goals will only prevent you from growing. There are two common mistakes a dog owner can make that will slam the brakes hard on any potential progress you might be hoping for. First, the expectations we place on our dogs and ourselves. The misguided belief that your dog “should” be performing or responding at a certain predetermined level. Another mistake many owners make is having unrealistic assumptions. Many of us assume that our dog understands what we want and that he knows what we’re asking of him. As if that wasn’t bad enough, some of us assume that the dogs failure to perform means he’s either rebelling, stubborn, or just plain stupid.

Pet care company, Wag Walking, described some of the signs to look out for if you think your pet may have ingested an illicit substance.

Hyperactivity, lack of coordination, dilated pupils, twitches and aggression are some of the signs to look out for but symptoms vary from drug to drug.

Related articles

  • Expert warning - UK government 'disingenuous' about inflation realit
  • Warning over blue-green poisonous algae in beautiful Scottish lake
  • Warning to pet owners after dog dies falling off cliff