RSPCA Inspector Beth Boyd crawled through tangles of bushes to reach the frightened tabby which had been unable to drink or eat for days. Even when she had finally managed to capture the dehydrated animal, its head was so firmly jammed in the jar that it took veterinary help and a mighty struggle to get the pet out of a pickle. Video footage released by the RSPCA shows the dramatic moments as Lulu the cat was finally freed from her predicament.
Rat trap cat sprung free by vets (Image: RSPCA) Cat was left dehydrated after trap ordeal (Image: RSPCA) Inspector Daniels added: “The RSPCA works 24/7 for animals in need and I was pleased to be able to rush to the scene in Langstone in the early hours of the morning, and ensure this cat was safely and securely freed from this device.” Apart from being shaken and dehydrated by the experience, the black, male neutered cat was uninjured.
Pet in a pickle. Veterinary staff trying to remove jar from cat's head (Image: RSPCA)
Inspector Boyd went to Lulu’s aid when a member of the public spotted the stricken creature slinking through undergrowth near Woodwards Close, Walsall, with her head deep inside a jar used for candles.
She was feared to have been trapped for several days, leaving her unable to drink, feed or clean herself.
As initial attempts to lure the car from its hiding place floundered, so the inspector had no choice but to crawl through the bushes and bring Lulu to safety.
Even then, there was still a struggle to save her life.
Lulu the cat finally freed from jar head ordeal (Image: RSPCA)
The murky glass jar that snared Lulu the cat (Image: RSPCA)
Inspector Boyd explained: “Poor Lulu was in such a pickle. It seems as though the curious cat went to investigate inside the jar, which looks like one used for holding a candle, and then could not remove it from her head.
“Because she was like that for days she was unable to eat or drink so was very dehydrated. If we hadn’t have caught her when we did she could have died.”
Once captured, Lulu was taken to the RSPCA’s Newbrook Farm Animal Centre where she was seen by vets with the moment she was finally freed caught on film.
Inspector Boyd added: “It was so nice to see her having the jar removed. As you can see on the video, she looked quite shocked by her ordeal but is now doing well and will be looking for a new home soon.”
Lulu’s owner was traced and the pet signed over to the RSPCA for rehoming from the charity’s Blackberry Farm Animal Centre in Aylesbury.
Make a dog-walking station for the entryway if you have more than one dog. See how this is done here.
Glass jar prevented Lulu from eating and drinking (Image: RSPCA)
Her online adoption details describe why she will make a loving pet.
“Lulu came into us as a welfare concern but is now ready to find a loving new home,” explains the profile. “Lulu can be a worrier, finding things a little scary to begin with and will freeze if she is unsure, whether it’s a new environment or person, but she starts to relax over time.
“Once she settles, she is an affectionate girl who will purr and dribble as she laps up the fuss, always ready to accept more.
“Due to her long coat, she will need regular grooming, which she has absolutely loved here at the centre, so it should be no problem keeping all that fur beautiful every day.”
For more details, see:www.rspca.org.uk/findapet