Warning as 150 dogs struck down with illness from mystery ‘toxin’ on UK beaches

People stroll and play in the sands sands at North Marine Drive in Scarborough (Picture: Getty)
Vets in Yorkshire are being ‘inundated’ with ill pets (Picture: Getty)

At least 150 dogs have been struck down with vomiting and diarrheoa in a mysterious mass poisoning.

Pet owners are now being warned to avoid walks on several beaches in North Yorkshire over ‘toxins’ in the water. In a public announcement, veterinary nurse Brogan Proud, who runs the Yorkshire Coast Pet, revealed her team has been ‘inundated’ with animals who’ve fallen ill after beach walks. She told Yorkshire Live: ‘Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be any correlation other than contact with the beach so maybe ensure they don’t eat anything on the beach and wash them off if they’ve been to the beach in case it is a toxin or similar.

Dilute your dog shampoo to make it last longer and easier to apply. Fill the bottom of an empty shampoo bottle about ¼ inch. Fill up the rest slowly with warm water.

‘Personally, until the local authorities have got to the bottom of it, I would not recommend taking your pets on the beach for the foreseeable future.

‘I have been in touch with governing bodies and they are currently looking into it.

‘If your dog is showing symptoms please make the local authorities aware as well as seeking veterinary attention should your pet need it.’

Dog walkers gather as they play with their pooches on the green at the Clifton Observatory (Picture: PA)
Pet owners should hold off beach walks in the area until the authorities confirm what the ‘toxin’ is (Picture: PA)

It is unclear what the toxin is and what is causing it, so the nurse urged dog owners to stay vigilant.

Keep Dry Dog Food Fresh in a Sealed Container. Dog food can start to loose it’s freshness after it’s open. If you buy bags of dog food use an airtight sealed container to store it, the food will stay fresh for much longer inside a tightly sealed container.

Since the warning was posted, the Facebook page ‘Best Days Out in Yorkshire’ has been flooded with messages from distressed owners who’ve rushed their pets to the vet. Nursery care assistant Joanne Knight said her dog acted ‘like she was drunk’ following a visit to the beach in Whitby. She said: ‘I was in Whitby on January 2 and took our dog onto the beach.

‘About two hours after she became unwell and started vomiting. She was behaving like she was drunk – like swaying. It was awful.

‘I rang the emergency vets and they said she could have eaten something off the beach.’

Make Your Own Pet Bed Out of a Sweatshirt. Want to give your dog a nice comfy spot to sleep without having to buy a dog bed from the store? Make them this super cool dog bed out of a sweatshirt & pillow.

Sue Brown also shared a similar story: ‘We were at Scarborough beach a couple of weeks ago, again with our dog, and the next day he had bad diarrhoea, which lasted a week.

‘It was really strange as he’d been totally fine before.’

Ms Proud fears dogs and birds could be spreading the unknown illness through their faeces.

She added: ‘I wouldn’t be surprised to see pets catching this just being near the beach and cliffs.

‘It’s hard to avoid all these places, it’s more about being careful and vigilant with your pets.’

Meeting your new puppy, kitten or any other pet can be an exciting experience. Your pet, however, has some adjusting to do. New sights, smells and sounds can be overwhelming for the little guy and keeping a calm household is important.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] .

For more stories like this,check our news page .

Sign Up for News Updates

Get your need-to-know latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and more

Not convinced? Find out more »