Vets warning to dog owners: Don't let pets drink from shared water bowls

VETS are warning dog owners not to let their four-legged friends drink from shared water bowls when out and about, over fears it can lead to potentially fatal diseases.

Glasgow: Hero dog helps owner push car along flooded street

Sign up for FREE for latest news plus tips to save money and the environment Invalid email

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you've consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Cafes and restaurants often leave water bowls for customer's dogs to lap up while their owners enjoy a nice meal or catch up with friends. But just as you wouldn’t share the same cup with people when dining out, vets have advised against your dog drinking out of a water bowl that many other pets have also used.

Is it a duck…or a dog? The Newfoundland breed has a water resistant coat and webbed feet. This dog was originally bred to help haul nets for fishermen and rescuing people at risk of drowning.

As the UK sees temperatures rise, dog health experts say sharing a bowl of water could lead to kennel cough - a condition that is extremely infectious.

While not spread directly by oral contact, many other infections and viruses can find their way into a communal dog bowl that could make your pet become unwell.

Speaking to TeamDogs, Kathleen Pohl, a veterinary surgeon at Zetland Vets and My Family Vets, warned: “If your dog is at risk and you are aware of a local outbreak, it would be sensible to avoid locations where your dog might have close contact with others such as busy parks, day care or shared public water and food bowls.”

Vets issue warning to dog owners over water bowls

Vets are warning dog owners to avoid using communal water bowls when visiting cafes and restaurants (Image: Getty - Chalabala)

Love Dogs?

TeamDogs LogoJoin our brand new website TeamDogs now.When you get there, make sharing a picture of your dog in our Top Dogs feed your very brilliant first job.Maybe when you've done that, leave a recommendation to help fellow dog owners in theTeamDogscommunity

INTERESTING FACT ABOUT YOUR PET: When your dog is carefully choosing the perfect place to do his business, it is because they prefer to go poop in alignment with the Earth’s magnetic field.

Due to the infectious nature of kennel cough, outbreaks are fairly common which is spread through coughing and sneezing.

Posting in a community group on Facebook, one owner warned: “Been to a local vets today who advised kennel cough is rife in Chelmsford!

“Our dog has caught it. Told us don’t share public dog bowls for drinks.”

Kathleen said: “Kennel cough is very infectious and can spread both in the environment and the air. It is also known as canine infectious tracheobronchitis and is an upper respiratory tract infection that can be caused by many different bacteria and viruses.

Limit treats to training rewards. This is an excellent way to make sure your dog views treats as special rather than expected. It’s also helpful in keeping your pet from becoming overweight or obese. Feed a species-appropriate diet, and partner with a holistic or integrative vet to maintain your pet’s well-being.

“Due to this, we do often see outbreaks in cases in local areas, as dogs can pick it up very easily in the park or local dog shows, or in areas where they might mix with other dogs such as day-care and kennels.”

Symptoms that suggest a dog has contracted kennel cough include a nasty cough, a fever, running nose, sneezing, loss of appetite and breathing difficulties.

Kathleen added: “There is a vaccine that can protect against some of the infections that cause severe symptoms, however some viruses that cause kennel cough cannot be protected due to their rapid mutation.

Apply house rules consistently. When your pet knows what to expect from his behavior, he will be much more inclined to do more of what you approve of and less of what you don’t.

READ MORE:Dog owners issued warning over pets burning paws as heatwave continues

Vets issue warning to dog owners over water bowls

Drinking from shared water bowls can cause dogs to develop kennel cough, which can be fatal (Image: Getty - Mercedes Rancaño Otero)

“Older animals or animals with other underlying health conditions may be more at risk of developing severe disease and these cases can progress to pneumonia, which can be fatal.”

To help prevent dogs from contracting kennel cough and other diseases and parasites, dog owners are advised to pack a portable water bottle to keep pups hydrated on days out.

A stainless steel, non-porous dog bowl which is the best for keeping dog bowl hygiene high while at home.

For those who own multiple dogs or regularly meet up for play dates, vets also advise to have more than one water dish available and to wash the drinking bowl everyday.

pet proofing tips

Keep up to date with all our TeamDogs news by following our social pages. As well as videos, tips and advice, we’ll also be sharing some of your amazing doggy pictures so follow us on , Instagram and .

TeamDogs SignUp Newsletter

DON'T MISS:

Dog owners warned as new research claims kibble has hidden dangers [REPORT]
Lucky escape: Missing dog survives terrifying 100ft cliff plunge [VIDEO]
Third of UK dogs are overweight [REVEAL]

Related articles

  • Drinking cold water over room temperature can help burn more calories
  • High blood pressure: Three drinks proven to lower readings
  • Girls Aloud's Sarah Harding's lifelong love for dogs