Vets urge caution on waterside dog walks after greyhound swallows fishing hook

Vets urge caution on waterside dog walks after greyhound swallows fishing hook
A night time walk could have cost Sean his life (Picture: My Family Vets)
On the evening of 18 September Sean’s owner Angela Reed-Fox took her greyhound Sean for a walk, but noticed something was off about him. They’d been strolling along Portishead Marina and Sean had been his usual playful self, before 40-year-old Angela noticed he was in distress.

As it turned out, the 8-year-old dog had swallowed a discarded fishing hook, which could have been fatal without emergency surgery.

Sean, an 8-year-old Greyhound who swallowed a discarded fishing hook on the evening of 18th September.
‘My husband and I were chatting, Sean was wandering around like he normally does,’ says his owner Angela, a nurse from Portishead. ‘As Sean returned to us, he was making a strange gulping noise. He got closer and we noticed a long orange wire sticking out of his mouth. My husband jumped up to take a closer look, then we drove to Vale Vets immediately.’ Arriving at the MyFamilyVets practice, where Angela’s been a client ever since adopting Sean when he was 2, the wire coming from the greyhound’s mouth had shortened considerably, meaning that whatever was at the other end of it had made its way further down.
Vets urge caution on waterside dog walks after greyhound swallows fishing hook
The hook Sean swallowed (Picture: My Family Vets)

INTERESTING FACT ABOUT YOUR PET: Nearly 80 million U.S. households have a pet, and 42 percent of those households have more than one, according to a 2015-2016 survey by the APPA. There are 77.8 million pet dogs in the U.S. and 85.8 million pet cats.

Sean was given an x-ray and the team confirmed that the mysterious artefact he’d swallowed was a crabbing hook.

The surgery took place right away, was a success, and thankfully Sean was allowed to go home the following morning.

‘I’m so relieved that everything aligned and it all went well,’ says Angela, who’s well aware of how much worse the situation could have been.
Vets urge caution on waterside dog walks after greyhound swallows fishing hook
He is confused but thankfully recovering (Picture: My Family Vets)

‘The hook could have caused fatal internal bleeding. Not only that – had we not known what had happened at the time, the hook could have caused sepsis, which could have killed Sean.’

Following the incident, the practice issued a warning on their Facebook page urging local dog owners to be mindful of litter when out walking with their pets.

They wrote in the post: ‘Please take care when walking your dog & look out for unwanted littering hazards which you dog may mistake for a tasty snack.

Vets urge caution on waterside dog walks after greyhound swallows fishing hook
Poor Sean (Picture: My Family Vets)

‘This is Sean who is a big supporter of Vale Vets. Up until recently he was one of our “Doggy Lifesavers” as he was on our blood donor list helping poorly dogs before retiring due to his age.

Make your own pill pockets when you need to feed your dog some medicine.

‘Sean came in to us at the weekend as managed to eat a discarded fish hook complete with line at the marina in Portishead whilst on a walk.

‘Our vet Phoebe quickly anaesthetised him to locate where the fish hook had travelled to. She then operated to remove the fish hook from his stomach taking care not to damage the lining. He is now recovering at home with lots of cuddles having made a lucky escape due to his quick thinking humans!’

Vets urge caution on waterside dog walks after greyhound swallows fishing hook
He has been left with a large scar due to the touch-and-go surgery (Picture: My Family Vets)

Sean was subdued for the first few days after his operation, but has begun a gradual return to his usual self. He’s been enjoying small walks and his favourite ‘dog tapas’: rice and scrambled eggs.

Angela describes Sean as super-chilled, quirky and trusting. He’s her first ever dog, and is no ordinary pet.

‘He’s a very special dog who just trusts people. Despite being nervous and in shock throughout the ordeal, he seemed to know that what the humans were doing, they were doing for his own good,’ she said.

Angela and her husband have kept a close eye on Sean at home as he makes a steady recovery, but without this emergency surgery it could have been a much more tragic ending.

Dogs are often curious and munch on things they see on the floor, but in areas like marinas and canals where they might be sharp objects lying around it’s important to stay vigilant – and head to the vets ASAP if you do notice anything strange.

INTERESTING FACT ABOUT YOUR PET: Your dog can smell your feelings. In fact, your dog’s sense of smell is approximately 100,000 times better than yours. So it shouldn’t be shocking that they can in fact, smell things such as fear. When a human is fearful, they perspire, and a dog is easily able to pick up on this change.

Do you have a story you’d like to share?

Get in touch at [email protected] .

The Fix

The daily lifestyle email from Metro.co.uk.

Find out more