Vets remove lead trailing from dog’s bum after he ate it whole

Labrador eats lead whole
Labrador Stanley (pictured as a puppy) overindulged at Christmas and got his lead stuck in his stomach (Picture: Brookfield Vets)
A greedy Labrador left vets shocked after he walked into their surgery with more than a metre of lead hanging out of his bum after swallowing it whole. Owner Vanessa Waters couldn’t believe it when she released her chocolate lab Stanley had devoured his entire lead – including the metal clasp – on Boxing Day and rushed him to the vets. At first vets at Brookfield Vets in Hereford, Herefordshire, tried to remove it with pain relief but it wouldn’t budge.
While Stanley was under anaesthesia they discovered it was ‘totally stuck’, with x-rays revealing the lead had left poor dog’s small intestine bunched up around it.

Vets carried out exploratory surgery to allow the lead to be fed out as far as possible so the greatest length could be cut off.

PIC FROM Kennedy News/ Brookfield Vets (PICTURED: LABRADOR STANLEY ON THE OPERATING TABLE WITH THE LEAD HANGING OUT OF HIS BOTTOM) A greedy labrador left vets astounded when he bounded into their surgery 'with over a metre of lead following behind' - hanging out of his BOTTOM after he swallowed it whole. Graphic images show poor Stanley sedated on the operating table with the red rope trailing out of his bum. Owner Vanessa Waters rang Brookfield Vets in Hereford, Herefordshire, on Boxing Day after she discovered the hungry pooch had devoured the lead and rushed him to the surgery. DISCLAIMER: While Kennedy News and Media uses its best endeavours to establish the copyright and authenticity of all pictures supplied, it accepts no liability for any damage, loss or legal action caused by the use of images supplied and the publication of images is solely at your discretion. SEE KENNEDY NEWS COPY - 0161 697 4266
Poor Stanley was suffering after he ate the lead whole (Picture: Brookfield Vets)
PIC FROM Kennedy News/ Brookfield Vets (PICTURED: X-RAY SHOWING THE METAL FITTINGS IN STANLEY'S STOMACH ) A greedy labrador left vets astounded when he bounded into their surgery 'with over a metre of lead following behind' - hanging out of his BOTTOM after he swallowed it whole. Graphic images show poor Stanley sedated on the operating table with the red rope trailing out of his bum. Owner Vanessa Waters rang Brookfield Vets in Hereford, Herefordshire, on Boxing Day after she discovered the hungry pooch had devoured the lead and rushed him to the surgery. DISCLAIMER: While Kennedy News and Media uses its best endeavours to establish the copyright and authenticity of all pictures supplied, it accepts no liability for any damage, loss or legal action caused by the use of images supplied and the publication of images is solely at your discretion. SEE KENNEDY NEWS COPY - 0161 697 4266
The metal clasp was lodged in Stanley’s large intestine (Picture: Brookfield Vets)

They found the metal clasp in his stomach and a rubber stopper in his large intestine, which had to be ‘milked out’, allowing the rest of the lead to be surgically removed.

Help your pet be as active as nature intended. Exercise and play time are necessary for your pet’s mental and physical well-being. If you don’t give your dog opportunities to be physically active, or if you don’t encourage exercise for your kitty and find ways to make it happen, you may well end up with a bored, destructive, overweight pet whose health will spiral downward throughout her lifetime.

Now Stanley is on his way to recovery, owner Vanessa shared his story to make sure dog owners are aware of the risks of their pets indulging themselves too much over Christmas. Owner Vanessa wrote: ‘I am glad to report that Stanley is back to his usual self, and can’t thank Victoria and her team enough for their skill and care.’ A Brookfield Vets spokesperson said: ‘This time of year we are seeing lots of patients who’ve eaten things they shouldn’t, but dear Stanley took things to a new level on Boxing Day.
PIC FROM Kennedy News/ Facebook (PICTURED: STANLEY AS A PUPPY) A greedy labrador left vets astounded when he bounded into their surgery 'with over a metre of lead following behind' - hanging out of his BOTTOM after he swallowed it whole. Graphic images show poor Stanley sedated on the operating table with the red rope trailing out of his bum. Owner Vanessa Waters rang Brookfield Vets in Hereford, Herefordshire, on Boxing Day after she discovered the hungry pooch had devoured the lead and rushed him to the surgery. DISCLAIMER: While Kennedy News and Media uses its best endeavours to establish the copyright and authenticity of all pictures supplied, it accepts no liability for any damage, loss or legal action caused by the use of images supplied and the publication of images is solely at your discretion. SEE KENNEDY NEWS COPY - 0161 697 4266
Stanley as a puppy before the ordeal (Picture: Facebook)
Stanley’s owner wanted as many dog owners to be aware of what can happen so asked us to share this and we ask you to do the same. ‘The phonecall started with the common phrase ‘my dog has eaten…’ but then continued to inform our duty vet Victoria that his lead was hanging from his bottom. ‘But nothing prepared the Boxing Day team of Victoria, Lottie and Georgia for what was going to present to them. Stanley bounced in with over a metre of lead following behind.

‘We have all been astounded by Stanley’s joie de vivre and amazing recovery – he definitely has won Brookfield’s most dramatic case of 2019.’

Seeing spots? Or not… Dalmatian puppies are pure white when they are born and develop their spots as they grow older.