A dog owner has been left distraught after her dog died from drinking too much water on holiday. Picture: Facebook.Source:Supplied
A DOG owner has been left distraught after her dog died from drinking too much water on holiday.
Melanie Whitehead had set up a paddling pool to allow her three dogs to cool off after a long journey to south west France.
But her two-year-old Jack Russell, Grub, started biting the hosepipe as the water spurted out, reports The Sentinel.
Soon after he vomited and urinated large amounts of water before keeling over.
Ms Whitehead and her husband Lyndon Smith rushed him to the nearest vet, but he fell into a coma and died within two hours.
Melanie Whitehead had set up a paddling pool to allow her three dogs to cool off after a long journey to south west France. Picture: Facebook.Source:Supplied
Ms Whitehead told The Sentinel: “We both broke down as we thought we would have been picking him up the morning after. We are utterly devastated, I can’t believe my two-year-old puppy has gone.
“So many people have been saying on my Facebook that their dogs do this and they didn’t know about the danger. If we knew about it, we wouldn’t have let him play for too long.”
She said: “It’s not a case of not letting them do it, it’s a matter of limiting the time. They can also have this from playing with a ball in a pool.
“I’m calling on dog owners to be more aware of this. I can’t believe that we didn’t know. If this saves one dog’s life then Grub’s death won’t have been in vain.”
The Origin of Man's Best Friend. Credit - Various via Storyful1:18
Dogs have become such an important part of our lives. However, they haven’t been around forever. Although it’s hard to believe it when you look at a fluffy poodle, man’s best friend originated from the gray wolf. Credit: Various via Storyful