Puppy rushed for surgery after swallowing AirPods - owner amazed they still work

A GOLDEN Retriever needed emergency surgery after swallowing a pair of Apple AirPods in their case.

This Morning: Amanda Owen says her sheepdog is her ‘main tool’

Sign up for FREE for latest news plus tips to save money and the environment Invalid email

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they'll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

The hungry puppy called Jimmy gave his owner a fright when he devoured the Apple AirPods which were charging in their case. Rachel Hicks, 22, said her “heart sank” when she realised what had happened. Ms Hicks said: “It was Easter Sunday and I was taking photos of him getting his first dog Easter egg to use on Instagram. He was jumping up and running around going crazy, he was so hyped up and excited.
“As he jumped, he knocked my AirPods out of my pocket and they fell on the floor, and before I even realised they had dropped on the floor, he had eaten them whole.

“He looked up at me straight after and gave me a look as if to say ‘that wasn’t the treat, was it?’ My heart sank.”

In a panic, Ms Hicks rushed Jimmy to Vets Now in Hull. Vets scanned Jimmy and could not believe it when they saw the AirPods case still intact.Susana Jauregui, who is senior vet at Vets Now in Hull, said: “Our vet on duty that evening, Steven, X-rayed Jimmy and the radiograph images clearly showed the AirPods case still intact in his digestive system.

laidback pet breeds

READ MORE:Covid rates: The 65 areas with rising coronavirus cases, is yours one?


Jimmy was left feeling sorry for himself after he swallowed AirPods in their case. (Image: Vets Now)


An X-ray showed the AirPods lodged in Jimmy's stomach. (Image: Vets Now)

Love dogs?

Love dogs?Love dogs? (Image: Getty)Join our brand new website TeamDogs now.When you get there, make sharing a picture of your dog in our Top Dogs feed your very brilliant first job.Maybe when you've done that, leave a recommendation to help fellow dog owners in the TeamDogs community.“There was a risk of it causing an obstruction and, with it being a charging case, Steven was also concerned about battery acid leaking so, after discussing the situation with Jimmy’s owner, he agreed to operate.“Jimmy is a beautiful dog and he is lucky his owner acted so promptly. Battery acid is highly dangerous to dogs as are large foreign objects, especially if they are allowed to pass into the intestine.”

The device was retrieved without a scratch or a tooth mark and the charging light was still on.

DON'T MISSRapid Covid testing: Where to go to get quick test near you [COVID]Queen heartbreak: Prince Philip's funeral 'one of the harde st days' [ROYAL]Prince Philip: Family's heartfelt sorrow reveals profound affection [ROYAL]


Jimmy's owner could not believe it when he swallowed the AirPods whole. (Image: Vets Now)Jimmy recovered in the vets overnight and was then sent home with a cone around his head to stop him licking his stitches.Ms Hicks said: “He is a bit sorry for himself, we are not allowed to exercise him so he has all this energy and nowhere for it to go.

“I have been so worried about him, it is certainly a cautionary tale for other dog owners. I can’t believe the AirPods still work, they have had a good clean!”

Get Educated. The first step to being an outstanding pet owner, according to Dr. Becker, is taking responsibility. “Nobody ever says ‘I was a lousy pet owner.’ It’s always the pet’s fault.” Learn the peculiarities of your pet’s breed such as how much exercise they need, how gregarious they are, how much maintenance their coat requires, how often they need to go outside, and about new technologies, products, and nutrition that might help you care for your pet. Knowing the basics about your pet’s upkeep ensures you won’t be caught off guard by troubling behavior.