Pet owners warned to keep animals away from chocolate at Christmas

Pet owners have been warned to keep their animals away from chocolate this festive season after a dog who ate edible Santa decorations off a Christmas tree was rushed to hospital. Jenny Pomroy’s small terrier needed lifesaving treatment by PDSA vets after she ate at least four chocolate Santas.

The charity is highlighting the story to warn pet owners to be extra vigilant this Christmas as many festive treats can be toxic to pets .

Download the new Indpendent Premium app

Sharing the full story, not just the headlines

Ms Pomroy, from, Kent said: “I’d hung chocolate tree decorations high on the tree, as we do every year, but a few days before Christmas I walked into the sitting room to find decorations and tinsel all over the floor. “Lily must have climbed the sofa and pulled everything off to get to the chocolate. The foil wrappers were gone, so she must have eaten these too.” She said: “I didn’t realise how dangerous it was, but thankfully I’d heard that chocolate can be really poisonous to dogs , so I called PDSA straight away.”

Use a Roll of Packing Tape to Pick Up Loose Pet Fur. Do your clothes pick up dog hair like crazy? Don’t have a lint roller on hand? One of my favorite life hacks for dog owners is using packing tape to pick off all that dog hair that gets all over your clothes.

Ms Pomroy rushed Lily to the Gillingham PDSA Pet Hospital where she was given a drug to safely make her sick and then medication to prevent her body from absorbing any remaining toxins. PDSA vet Soo Ming Teoh said: “It was a good job that Lily was brought into the hospital. Chocolate toxicity is a real concern and her owners were really sensible to bring her straight down to us.

“The amount of chocolate she ate was dangerous for such a small dog and it could have been fatal if she’d been left untreated.”

She called the wrappers an “additional worry” as they could cause “dangerous gut blockage”.

The vet said: “Lily’s blood tests revealed she wasn’t out of the woods yet. She needed to be placed on a drip to help support her kidneys and we monitored her closely for the next 48 hours.

“Lily was incredibly lucky she didn’t suffer fatal kidney damage, and thankfully she was able to go home in time for Christmas.”

Ms Pomroy is encouraging other pet owners to keep chocolate well out of reach of their pet’s paws this Christmas.

Meeting your new puppy, kitten or any other pet can be an exciting experience. Your pet, however, has some adjusting to do. New sights, smells and sounds can be overwhelming for the little guy and keeping a calm household is important.

If you think your pet might have eaten something they should not, call your vet immediately as they might need urgent treatment, depending on the amount they have eaten.

Press Association