The hearing charm…
Dogs have a sensitive hearing; they can hear sounds four times farther away than we can. They can hear higher frequency sounds and know where it is originating from. They can even differentiate sounds – that’s why they know when your car has arrived.
Humans can hear sounds that vibrate at less than 20,000 vibrations per second (20,000Hz) while dogs can hear sounds of up to 50,000 vibrations per second (50,000Hz). What’s more? At high frequencies, dogs can hear much softer sounds. Thus, they can even hear sounds which cannot be heard by humans (less than 0 decibels).
anatomy of dog’s ears…
A dog’s ears are controlled by 18 muscles, while our ears are controlled by only six muscles. That is why we cannot move our ears but our dogs can, in the direction of the sound. To hear better, they even tilt and rotate their ears.
Though this is an amazing power in our dogs, it is a matter of concern as well. Dogs can get stressed by sounds they hear. Ever wondered why your dog runs away when you switch on the vacuum cleaner or when a power drill is on? It is because sounds are much louder to them because of their hearing power.
Wedding or New Year’s...
... from a dog’s perspective, a cracker seems like a bomb. They get scared with loud noise and sometimes try to run outside. Some dogs get lost in the frenzy, while few may even get involved in an accident or hurt themselves. They get nervous, stop eating and even snap at humans.
The plight of strays is even worse. They hide under cars or other parked vehicles putting them in a very dangerous situation.
How can you help
- Say ‘No’ to crackers: Crackers are bad for everyone – they pollute the air and are harmful to humans as well. If each one of us can say ‘No to Crackers’, the world would indeed be a better place to live in.
- Do not scold your dog or punish him: If your dog is scared of loud noises, do not scold or punish her/him. Your pet is already stressed, it will only add to it.
- Tire your dog out: When your dog is tired, s/he is more likely to sleep. So, before people start bursting crackers, tire your pet out. Take her/him out for a long walk, let him run, play with him… let him spend some energy.
- Give him a heavy meal: Dogs tend to lose appetite when they are scared. So, feed them well if you are expecting a loud night.
- Keep them indoors: Always keep your dog indoors during this time. Never leave him unattended as they may run out.
- Dog-proof your house: Since dogs are scared at this time, they tend to hide under beds, tables and other corners. Keep them clean and put dangerous items out of their way.
- Keep doors and windows closed: To minimise the intensity of the sounds, keep doors and windows closed.
- Place carpet on floor: To reduce the vibrations of loud noises, put carpets or cushions on the floor so that your pet can sit on it.
- Give him a treat/toy: Distract him by giving him his favourite treat or toy.
- Let them rest: If your dog has chosen to sit under the bed, leave him alone. Do not force him to come out.
- Reassure your pets: Do not panic on seeing his reaction.
- Be cheerful, play and reassure your pet.
- Play some soothing music: Mask the noises outside by playing some white noise. You can find CDs for the same.
- Use earplugs: If possible, put ear plugs in your dog’s ears.
- Give him clean drinking water: You might need to remind your dog to drink water from time to time.
- Put an identification tag around his neck: Your contact details should be there on the tag, just in case your dog gets lost during this time.
- Talk to your vet: If you think your dog is very stressed, talk to your vet. Some tranquilisers or sedatives may help.
By Versha Verma
Are you a proud pet parent? Have a cute cat story to share? Maybe your guinea pig is giving you trouble? Whatever is your creature companion, we are here to listen to you. Send your photos, queries and stories to [email protected]
8 tips to make your dog happy
Women FashionKurtas, tops and moreBuy Now Luxury AyurvedaForrest Essentials and MoreShop Now Skincare ProductsBest DealsCheck Out Top PerfumesAmazing OffersCheck Out Home DecorExtra SavingsExplore Amazon DevicesInstant DiscountBuy Now
End of the article
Help this CCD employee recover from a tragic accident.
Best NRI investment - Leased offices in India @ 9% yieldProperty Share
Invest in Grade A Commercial Properties in India @ 9% Yield!
INTERESTING FACT ABOUT YOUR PET: INTERESTING FACT ABOUT YOUR PET: Stories abound of owners whose dogs kept sniffing or licking a mole or lump on their body so they got it checked out, discovering it was cancerous. The anecdotal evidence was later backed up by scientific studies. Dogs are so good at this that some of them are trained to detect cancer, in as little as three hours.
7 signs your relationship will not last long
A perfect date night gift for your partner
Tips for dark men to increase style quotient
These mistakes are keeping you from getting abs
5 reasons why you still don't have perfect abs
7 signs to know your relationship is in trouble
5 mistakes people make while ab training
Check if you are in the right relationship
These 5 tips will make your shaves mess free