A severely neglected dog had to be put down after her paws had ‘dissolved’ under faeces-covered matted fur, which had been left for months.The little Shih Tzu, Lola, was left struggling to walk after the skin on her back legs had disintegrated so badly that the bone was left exposed. Her owner Carla Freer, 41, from Loftus, North Yorkshire, was banned from keeping animals for life after RSPCA inspectors found the dog in a ‘shocking condition’.
But the extent of Lola’s horrific injuries had not been discovered until it was too late, after a concerned member of the public spotted her in pain and took her to the vets.
The family have had him since he was a puppy and said he would ‘never hurt a fly’ (Picture: Supplied) After being returned from police kennels, his tail was missing and he was missing fur from his legs (Picture: Supplied)Mitch was taken from her brother Pawel, 21, as he was walking him close to where they live in Dagenham.
An expert vet said that in 30 years experience – having dealt with many cases of matting where limbs had been lost – it was ‘without doubt… the worst case of a matted animal I have seen’.RSPCA Inspector Clare Wilson said: ‘Lola was in a shocking condition, her fur was extremely matted and covered in urine and faeces and she was struggling to walk.
INTERESTING FACT ABOUT YOUR PET: Having a dog in the house means more bacteria enters the home and gets inside the occupants (one study found “dog-related biodiversity” is especially high on pillowcases.) In turn, people with dogs seem to get ill less frequently and less severely than people with no pets.
‘Unfortunately when vets put her under anaesthetic to clip her fur what they found was worse than anyone could have imagined.
‘Her hind feet had literally dissolved under the matting and her back legs were just stumps with exposed bone.
‘The vet decided that the only humane thing to do was to put her to sleep to prevent further suffering which took place with her owner’s consent.’Owner Freer was sentenced to four months in prison, suspended for two years, at Teesside Magistrates’ Court on Friday, after pleading guilty to causing unnecessary suffering to a protected animal.
Veterinary evidence revealed it was highly likely that the matting – which in extreme cases can restrict blood supply – had caused Lola’s feet to be severely injured, the court heard.In mitigation the court was told that Freer’s personal circumstances had dramatically changed, leaving her short of time to care for Lola.
Poor Eric’s claws had been left uncut for so long they started to curl over (Picture: RSPCA/SWNS) RSPCA inspector Nina Small said Eric was the thinnest dog she had ever seen alive (Picture: RSPCA/SWNS) Inspectors are hunting for Eric’s owners but he has not been microchipped (Picture: RSPCA/SWNS)Luckily Eric is being given round-the-clock care and is on the road to recovery while an investigation is carried out to trace his owners.
The court heard there wasn’t deliberate cruelty and Freer didn’t know the extent of the injuries or she would have acted.
Stop Dog Hair From Clogging the Drain With a Baby Wipe. When you bathe your dog does their hair end up clogging up your drain? Use a baby wipe to help stop the dog hair from clogging it up.
She was given a two year community with 150 hours unpaid work, 10 rehabilitation requirement days and a curfew between 8pm and 7am for eight weeks.
Freer was also ordered to pay £400 costs and a £115 victim surcharge, and was disqualified from keeping all animals for life.