Mum's warning to dog owners after pet nearly dies eating an Easter egg

Bailey secretly ate half an Easter egg Tracy's son had hidden
Bailey secretly ate half an Easter egg Tracy’s son had hidden (Picture: PDSA)
Mum-of-five Tracy thought she’s managed to keep all the Easter chocolate out of the way of her chihuahua Bailey.

But she had no idea her seven-year-old son had hidden an egg under a pillow and the pooch had managed to sniff it out.

Bailey ate just half the egg, but it left him seriously ill, as chocolate is very toxic for dogs . It contains a chemical called theobromine, which can be incredible dangerous for them, even in small quantities.

Tracy, from Chatham, said she knew something was desperately wrong when two-year-old Bailey started acting strangely.
She explained: ‘He became really lethargic and just wasn’t himself. Soon after I found torn up Easter egg foil with all the chocolate gone, so I knew he needed to be seen urgently. ‘I’m very careful with chocolate around our dogs as I know it’s poisonous for them, but my seven-year-old son had hidden an egg under a pillow thinking Bailey wouldn’t be able to find it. I rang PDSA immediately and they advised me to bring him straight in.’

She took him to Gillingham PDSA Pet Hospital and vets there rushed him in as an emergency.

Use Rubber Gloves to Pick up Stray Dog Hair. Does your dogs hair get everywhere, or is it just me? My favorite method for picking up all that loose hair is using a pair of rubber gloves. You put them on and run you hands over your furniture; it’s amazing how well pet hair clings to rubber gloves.

They gave him treatment to induce vomiting in a bid to stop any more of the toxins being absorbed.

Bailey’s small breed size means that even small amounts of chocolate can be deadly.

PDSA Senior Vet Soo Ming Teoh, said: ‘We estimated that Bailey had eaten about half an Easter egg, which is an extremely dangerous amount for a dog of his very small size, therefore we knew he was at risk of serious disturbances to his heart rhythm or even seizures.
Bailey is now doing ok
Bailey is now doing ok (Picture: PDSA)

‘Thankfully he was brought in very quickly and we were able to give him life-saving treatment before too much of the toxin got into his system.

‘He needed close monitoring and intravenous fluid support due to an increased heart rate, likely caused by the amount of chocolate he’d eaten. But after a few hours of observation and treatment, he was able to go home with instructions to keep a close eye on him overnight.’

Thankfully, Bailey recovered but Tracy wants to warn others about the dangers.

She said: ‘It took him a little while to fully recover from his ordeal but thankfully he is back to his usual self now and we’re keeping chocolate well out of reach so we don’t have to go through this scary experience again.’

Use a carabiner to attach it to a belt loop for a long hike.

If owners suspect their dog has ingested chocolate, they should call their local vet immediately and let them know the type of chocolate, how much they’ve eaten and when.

Other popular Easter treats that can be toxic to pets include hot cross buns, and spring plants, such as daffodils and lilies.

Do you have a story to share?

Get in touch at [email protected] .

The Fix

The daily lifestyle email from Metro.co.uk.

Find out more