Mum faces losing fingers after family dog bit her and gave her sepsis

Mum of four loses hands after she was bitten by family dog and got sepsis
Michelle Ellis fought for her life in hospital after being bitten by a family dog (Picture: Keana Ellis/BPM MEDIA)

A mum-of-four faces losing her fingers after a bite from a family dog gave her sepsis.

Michelle Ellis, from Plymouth, Devon, ‘thought nothing of it’ when a nip from her dog left her with a small wound in mid-January. She began experiencing flu-like symptoms over the next few days and was admitted to Derriford Hospital on January 16.

Doctors diagnosed her with sepsis, a life-threatening medical emergency that sees the body have an extreme response to an infection.

She was put into an induced coma in the ICU as her body suffered multiple organ failure.

Michelle’s daughter Keana, 24, said: ‘It was a tiny bite – around the size of a cigarette burn – so nothing was thought of it and she left it – and then this happened.’

The dog – which the family say ‘had always been a little bit funny’ – is due to be put to sleep.

Michelle – who is not allowed to be visited by her family in hospital due to the Covid pandemic – is awake but still doesn’t know about her fingers.

Put a ball in your dog's food bowl if he or she eats too fast. They be forced to move the ball around to get to all the food.

Michelle and her oldest daughter Keana (Feb 2020) Well-wishers are rallying behind a Plymouth mum rushed to hospital and put in an induced coma after she suffered sepsis from a dog bite. Mum of four Michelle Ellis was left with a small wound after the family dog bit her. The bite mark was relatively small, so she didn't think much of it at the time. However, in the next couple of days, she began experiencing flu-like symptoms which lasted several days and was admitted to hospital on Saturday, January 16 as a result. Derriford Hospital staff established that Michelle was suffering sepsis, which is the body's extreme response to an infection - in Michelle's case, caused by the dog bite. Michelle was then put into an induced coma and she was placed on a dialysis machine.
Michelle and her oldest daughter Keana, 24 (Picture: Keana Ellis/BPM MEDIA)

One firm has estimated prosthetics will cost £32,000 per hand, with new ones needed every five years.

Sister Melanie said: ‘Her kidneys are till not working and the extent of the damage caused is uncertain at this time.

‘She is still unaware of the situation with her hands, they are waiting to see if she is strong enough to absorb this.’

She added: ‘Michelle was such a busy person, always helping others, it’s a worry how she will cope at the prospect of losing her fingers, but with a strong positive family we’re hoping she regain her lust for life and flourish with her new hands.’

The family has launched a fundraiser to fund the prosthetics and aid Michelle’s rehabilitation.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]

For more stories like this, check ournews page.

Sign Up for News Updates

Get your need-to-know latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and more

Not convinced? Find out more »