A mother ‘ran screaming out of the house’ after discovering her newborn baby was attacked by a dog.
Mikey Skelly, aged six weeks, is fighting for his life in hospital after being flown by helicopter from his aunt’s home in Hawick, Scottish Borders.
He is in a critical condition after the terrier left him with severe injuries on Thursday.
Neighbours described seeing the baby’s mother, Lucy Donaldson, 28, in ‘hysterics’ while the grandfather had his face in his hands after discovering the wounded boy.
It is believed she had left the baby at her sister’s home as the pair went out, leaving him in the care of her sister’s partner, according to the Daily Record.
Neighbour Teresa Currie, 37, believed Mikey had been left inside alone as her sister’s partner was outside playing football with his children and Lucy’s other kids.
She didn’t know how long they were playing outside, before she saw Lucy and her sister pull up and go into the house.
Teresa told the Daily Record: ‘The next thing I saw Lucy running out of the house, hands up in the air, screaming.
‘I can’t imagine what Lucy has walked in to see. Whatever she saw, she couldn’t go back in that house again.’
Many dogs have a condition nicknamed “Frito Feet,” in which their feet smell little bit like corn chips. As Matt Soniak wrote in a Big Question on this site, this has to do with the kind of bacteria found on a pup’s feet, and “could be due to yeast or Proteus bacteria. Both are known for their sweet, corn tortilla–like smell. Or it could be Pseudomonas bacteria, which smell a little fruitier—but pretty close to popcorn to most noses.”
The neighbour said Lucy’s sister came out of the house carrying the dog, ‘which is a wee thing,’ and apparently took it to the vet to be put down.
She called Lucy a ‘great mum’ and said she was devastated for the family, who apparently were keeping a bedside vigil on Thursday night.
Mikey is currently being treated in the trauma unit of the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow, after emergency services were called at 4.35pm.
It is understood the couple own several dogs, including lurchers and terriers.
Moving With Your Pet
Another neighbour, who asked not to be named, said she was wary of the terriers as she claimed they can be aggressive.
She said: ‘I wouldn’t trust them or let kids in there. They are vicious little b*******.’
Forensics arrived at the scene yesterday, while police said enquiries are ongoing.
Hawick councillor Davie Paterson said: ‘It’s an absolute tragedy and it’s going to hit the town hard.
‘I don’t know the full circumstances of what happened but from what I’m hearing the child could be scarred for life.
If you have a hard time brushing your dog's teeth, squeeze some enzymatic doggie toothpaste onto a Nylabone or rope toy and let your pooch go to town on it.
‘I was told about it with the council yesterday and I was absolutely horrified.’