A woman lost her brother after a ‘big softie’ dog with bacteria in his mouth bit him and left him with a fatal illness.Pauline Day’s husband was also nearly killed after he too was bitten by the Japanese Akita puppy, named Ted. Barry Harris, 46, bought the dog last May after dealing with a break-up. But three days after the pet bit him on July 7, he ended up dying of a cardiac arrest.
The groundworker was bitten as he tried to remove an animal bone from the dog’s mouth during a walk.
On the day of Barry’s funeral on August 19, his brother-in-law Mark Day was walking Ted and got bitten himself.
Make sure your pet is in good company. Pets get lonely and depressed just like people do when they spend too much time alone. Cats are generally better on their own, but dogs and especially puppies don’t do well left to their own devices for extended periods of time.
Three days later he suffered from a fever and ‘legs like blocks of ice’ and was rushed to hospital, where he too had a cardiac arrest.The builder, from Colchester in Essex, has been in the care of doctors and nurses with sepsis ever since.
He has already had to have seven fingers removed and will lose both his legs by the end of next week.
Pauline said: ‘They weren’t even attacked. Ted literally just broke the skin on my husband and my brother.
On a hot summer day, fill up an inflatable pool with water and ice.
‘It was the softest dog but it had food issues. Whenever it was near food it was so aggressive. We think it was mistreated as a puppy.’Pauline had Ted euthanised on the same day the family discovered Mark’s illness was linked to bacteria from a dog.
The mourning sister suspects foul play from the person her brother bought his dog from.Barry found his 15-month-old puppy through a private seller on Facebook. He then picked Ted up from a flat in London.
The seller apparently told Barry that Ted was already well trained, but the dog who looked like a ‘giant teddy bear’, did not even know his own name.
Print out and keep this handy chart of what foods your dog should NOT be given.
Pauline said she checked Ted’s paperwork after the tragedy and found no vaccination history.
She said: ‘It’s like something out of a nightmare. You just don’t believe this has happened.
‘The shock of my brother was one thing and then my husband. It’s just surreal.’
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] .
For more stories like this,check our news page .
INTERESTING FACT ABOUT YOUR PET: Former Michael Vick dogs, Sox and Hector, are certified therapy dogs. They now spend their days cheering up people at hospitals, nursing homes, and schools.
Sign Up for News Updates
Get your need-to-know latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and more
Not convinced? Find out more »