Labrador rushed to vets after falling ill from foam on top of hot tub

Dog almost dies after eating foam from hot tub
Cooper was rushed to the vets (Picture: Vets Now)

A young dog had to be rushed to the vets after he fell ill when he ate foam from a hot tub.

Owner Joanne McGovern said Labrador, Cooper, started gasping for air and so, fearing she was about to lose him, she rushed him for emergency treatment.

She said: ‘It was a lovely Sunday and my partner had topped up the chemicals, put the jets on and popped into the house for a moment.

‘I was in the living room and almost immediately Cooper came in like he was gasping for breath.

If you have a hard time brushing your dog's teeth, squeeze some enzymatic doggie toothpaste onto a Nylabone or rope toy and let your pooch go to town on it.

‘I ran into the garden and when I saw water on the steps by the tub, I realised he’d got up and licked the foam with all the chemicals.’

‘It was longest journey of my life. I was crying all the way and kept talking to him to make sure he was still with us.’

Joanne, from Cambuslang, near Glasgow, told staff at Vets Now what cleaning products she had used.
Dog almost dies after eating foam from hot tub
Owner Joanne is urging other hot tub owners to close them when dogs are around (Picture: Vets Now)
Dog almost dies after eating foam from hot tub
Poor Cooper now hides from the hot tub (Picture: Vets Now)
Vet Nicole Laws said: ‘When we did the examination, Cooper was making noise similar to reverse sneezing.

Make a Tug Toy From Old Clothes. Does your dog love to play tug? Got some extra t-shirts lying around? Make your own toy by braiding one of your old t-shirts into a tug toy rather than throwing them out.

‘But, thankfully, there was no breathing difficulty or ulceration of the mouth, nose or eyes; we were able to establish which chemicals, including chlorine, he had ingested and were causing the respiratory irritation.

‘We gave him some medication to treat this.’

After a few hours he was allowed home with medication for his airways and eyes and now he’s made a full recovery.

Joanne is now urging other hot tub owners to be careful.

She said: ”We’ve always been really cautious with the hot tub, but Cooper has never shown any interest at all in going near it.

On a hot summer day, fill up an inflatable pool with water and ice.

Dog almost dies after eating foam from hot tub
Thankfully he made a full recovery due to Joanne and Vets Now’s quick thinking (Picture: Vets Now)

‘It happened so quickly. I would never have left my wee girls unattended by the hot tub and you’ve really got to be every bit as cautious with dogs as you would be with children.’

Some suppliers have reported a 1,000 increase in sales of hot tubs and many holiday homes now have them.

Nicole added: ‘Cooper’s case highlights the dangers of hot tubs for pet owners and I’m so pleased to hear he’s back to normal. He was an incredibly affectionate dog.

Use a carabiner to attach it to a belt loop for a long hike.

‘We have seen numerous cases involving pets almost drowning in hot tubs or suffering an extreme reaction after inhaling treated hot tub water into their lungs.

‘We’d advise owners with hot tubs, or who are visiting somewhere with them, to always keep their dog away from them and to cover them up when not in use.’

Do you have a story you’d like to share?

Get in touch at [email protected] .

The lifestyle email from Metro.co.uk

The Fix

Get your need-to-know lifestyle news and features straight to your inbox.

It's certainly unpleasant to take your dog outside when it's snowing or raining, but don't forget that dogs' paws are just as sensitive to heat as human skin.

Not convinced? Find out more