Labradoodle rushed to vets after eating 12 Creme Eggs and chocolate bars

Undated handout photo issued by Vets Now showing Bruce, a labradoodle who had to be rushed for emergency veterinary treatment after eating a dozen Cadbury Creme Eggs and several bars of dark chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is poisonous to dogs. Owner Alison Rothery, from Fordingbridge, Hampshire, took Bruce to the Vets Now Salisbury clinic where he was given emergency treatment. Issue date: Thursday April 1, 2021. PA Photo. See PA story ANIMALS CremeEggs. Photo credit should read: Vets Now/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.
Bruce was rushed to the vets when his owner realised just how much chocolate he’d eaten (Picture: PA)
A labradoodle was rushed to the emergency vets after scoffing down a dozen Cadbury Creme Eggs. Bruce also wolfed down several bars of dark chocolate in the early Easter feeding frenzy, which experts say could have killed him. Owner Alison Rothery said they had the chocolate stash high up in their larder, which they thought Bruce ‘couldn’t possibly have reached’. ‘But I came down to find Bruce’s bed full of Creme Egg wrappers and chocolate bar wrappers,’ she said.

‘We must have left the door ajar and he’d obviously sniffed his way in, stood up and helped himself.

‘He actually didn’t seem out of sorts, just a bit over-excited, probably because of all the sugar. But when I realised just how much chocolate he’d eaten I knew I needed to get help.

‘The Creme Eggs were obviously a concern, but I was more worried about the dark chocolate, as I knew that could be worse.

‘And although this was first thing, I couldn’t be sure if he’d just eaten them or had them earlier in the night, and in his system for hours.’

Focus on the Human-Animal Bond. “Dogs and cats have broken down the walls of our hearts. There haven’t been comparable domesticated species in 5,000 years.” For Dr. Becker, it’s clear that pets and people have evolved to benefit each other. He explains, “When you’re petting them, you both get this massive release of oxytocin, prolactin, dopamine, and a decrease in cortisol. It’s a reciprocal biochemical spa treatment.” As they age, it can be easy to take pets for granted. Make time for a little human-animal bonding every day.

Undated handout photo issued by Vets Now showing the chocolate bare wrappers and packaging eaten by Bruce, a labradoodle who had to be rushed for emergency veterinary treatment after eating a dozen Cadbury Creme Eggs and several bars of dark chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is poisonous to dogs. Owner Alison Rothery, from Fordingbridge, Hampshire, took Bruce to the Vets Now Salisbury clinic where he was given emergency treatment. Issue date: Thursday April 1, 2021. PA Photo. See PA story ANIMALS CremeEggs. Photo credit should read: Vets Now/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.
Bruce did not hide the evidence very well (Picture: PA)
Undated handout photo issued by Vets Now showing Bruce, a labradoodle who had to be rushed for emergency veterinary treatment after eating a dozen Cadbury Creme Eggs and several bars of dark chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is poisonous to dogs. Owner Alison Rothery, from Fordingbridge, Hampshire, took Bruce to the Vets Now Salisbury clinic where he was given emergency treatment. Issue date: Thursday April 1, 2021. PA Photo. See PA story ANIMALS CremeEggs. Photo credit should read: Vets Now/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.
The chocolate will be put way out of Bruce’s reach from now on (Picture: PA)

Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine which is poisonous to dogs.

The amount of theobromine does depend on the type, but dark chocolate is the most toxic.

It mainly affects the guts, heart, central nervous system and kidneys and common symptoms are vomiting, diarrhoea, restlessness, hyperactivity and seizure.

Ms Rothery, from Fordingbridge, Hampshire, took Bruce to the Vets Now Salisbury clinic, where he was given emergency treatment.
Senior vet surgeon Dave Hollinshead said: ‘While Creme Eggs are not particularly high in theobromine, dark chocolate is and it was clear Bruce had ingested a toxic amount.
Undated handout photo issued by Vets Now showing Bruce, a labradoodle who had to be rushed for emergency veterinary treatment after eating a dozen Cadbury Creme Eggs and several bars of dark chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is poisonous to dogs. Owner Alison Rothery, from Fordingbridge, Hampshire, took Bruce to the Vets Now Salisbury clinic where he was given emergency treatment. Issue date: Thursday April 1, 2021. PA Photo. See PA story ANIMALS CremeEggs. Photo credit should read: Vets Now/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.
Bruce didn’t feel too ruff but was acting a little hyper after sugar frenzy (Picture: PA)
‘After discussing the situation with his owners, our team in Salisbury gave Bruce an injection and he brought up a lot of chocolate and quite a few wrappers.

‘Thankfully, after further checks, we were able to allow him home with a prescription of activated charcoal which helps to absorb any toxins left in the system.

Stuff a Kong With Treats to Keep Them Busy. Stuff a Kong with some yummy treats to keep your dog occupied, and for a tougher challenge you can freeze them in there. You don’t need fancy dog treats or stuffing either – here’s 39 food & treats I like to Stuff in Kongs.

‘Easter eggs are obviously a big favourite at this time of year. But while they are a nice treat for adults and children, they are a real hazard for pets, so do please take care.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]

For more stories like this, check our news page .

Sign Up for News Updates

Get your need-to-know latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and more

Not convinced? Find out more »