Killer compost warning after dogs nearly die eating rotting potatoes

Dog owners are being warned to keep their pets away from food compost bins after two lurchers nearly died from eating toxins.

Veterinary charity PDSA says the close call for the two lurchers is a stark reminder of the risks posed by rotting food waste.

Cleo and Cobi were left in a life-threatening condition after eating old potatoes raided from a locked compost caddy kept in a shed at their owner’s home in Crewe, Cheshire.

Undated handout photo issued by PDSA of lurchers Cleo (bottom) and Cobi who were rushed to the PDSA Stoke-on-Trent pet hospital when they were left in a life-threatening condition after eating old potatoes raided from a locked compost caddy kept in a shed at their owner's home in Crewe, Cheshire. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Wednesday December 26, 2018. See PA story ANIMALS Compost. Photo credit should read: PDSA/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.
Cleo (bottom) and Cobi who are on the mend after being rushed to an animal hospital (Picture: PA)

Senior PDSA vet Andrew Hunt said of the incident: ‘As foods rot, the mould that occurs can produce compounds called mycotoxins.

‘These are naturally occurring substances and while some types can be beneficial, such as penicillin, others can be highly toxic to both humans and animals.

‘Cleo and Cobi had eaten a large amount of mouldy food and were suffering from serious mycotoxicosis.

‘There’s no antidote – treatment involves supporting the dogs to try and reduce their risk of seizures and other effects of poisoning while their bodies work through the toxins.

Undated handout photo issued by PDSA of lurchers Cleo (left) and Cobi who were rushed to the PDSA Stoke-on-Trent pet hospital when they were left in a life-threatening condition after eating old potatoes raided from a locked compost caddy kept in a shed at their owner's home in Crewe, Cheshire. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Wednesday December 26, 2018. See PA story ANIMALS Compost. Photo credit should read: PDSA/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.
Cleo and Cobi were rushed to the PDSA Stoke-on-Trent pet hospital after they ate rotting old potatoes (Picture: PA)

‘The vets were doing everything they could, but we just had to wait and see how they would respond.’

Both dogs received hours of intensive care, including medication to reduce fits and an intravenous infusion to combat the effects of the toxins, and were put on drips.

Recalling the incident, the animals’ owner, Ash Beresford, aged 24, said: ‘I came home to find Cobi shaking with her eyes glazed over, and Cleo was unconscious.

‘I knew immediately that something was very wrong, and then I spotted the empty compost caddy.’

He added: ‘At one point I was advised to say my goodbyes as it wasn’t certain that they would pull through.

‘When I got the call early the next morning to say they were out of danger, I can’t even begin to describe the relief I felt.’