Incredible moment two boys save three dogs from house fire in US

Moment two young boys save two dogs from house fire
The boys were alerted to the fire after hearing the smoke alarms going off (Picture: Storyful)

This is the moment two quick-witted boys rescued three dogs trapped inside a burning building.

Anthony Lombardi, 12, and Mario Comella, 13, were cycling past a neighbour’s house in Coventry, Rhode Island, in the US on New Year’s Day when they heard smoke alarms going off. Footage of the unfolding drama captured on a doorbell camera shows the boys approaching the house as they call the owner, John Salisbury. John gives the boys the security code to unlock his front door and can be heard on the phone asking the boys if they can ‘go in there quick’.

A Beatles hit. It’s rumored that, at the end of the Beatles song, “A Day in the Life,” Paul McCartney recorded an ultrasonic whistle, audible only to dogs, just for his Shetland sheepdog.

As the boys open the door they shout ‘it’s smokey, the dogs are inside call 911, call 911’.

Two dogs then run out of the house, before Mario enters the building to free a third pooch still trapped inside. As Mario remerges he can be heard saying: ‘I got your dogs out, I got the dogs out’ as both he and Anthony run from the house. After the dramatic rescue, the boys were praised by John Salisbury and Athena DiBenedetto who were out at the time of the fire. Athena told 12 News: ‘With all of the smoke billowing in the house, he didn’t even think twice. He ran in and let the dog out.’

INTERESTING FACT ABOUT YOUR PET: Your dog is as smart as a two-year old! Ever wonder why children around this age seem to have a special bond with the family dog? It could be because they speak the same language, roughly 250 words and gestures in fact.

The blaze is understood to have been started when one of the dogs accidentally turned on a stove burner which ignited a wooden chopping board.

Athena, who said she cannot watch the doorbell footage without getting ‘teary eyed’, said she feared what could have happened if the boys had arrived five or ten minutes later.

Mario said he ran into the building to save the dogs after his uncle lost his pets in a house fire a year ago.

The youngster told 12 News: ‘I was thinking, “This happened to my uncle, so I’m not going to let this happen to my friend.”‘

Check for Fleas By Giving Your Dog the White Towel Test. Do you think you dog has fleas? Have them lay on a white towel while you examine & brush their fur. The sheet makes it easy to see any loose flea dirt that falls from your dog.

While no one was hurt in the incident, Coventry fire department has warned people not to enter burning buildings and to always call 911 instead.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] .

For more stories like this,check our news page .

Sign Up for News Updates

Get your need-to-know latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and more

Not convinced? Find out more »