DOG OWNERS have been issued a warning by an academic after two dogs, which had been in contact with the water near Rea's Wood, fell ill and died.
Blue-green algae kills three dogs in Canadian provinceSign up for FREE for latest news plus tips to save money and the environment Invalid email
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you've consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More infoProfessor Chris Elliot believes an algae bloom that releases toxins could be to blame for the deaths but the investigation is ongoing.
Children and pets are being warned to stay away from the water in Lough Neagh, Antrim, after the tragic incidents.Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council confirmed that it was aware of two reports of dogs falling ill after being in contact with the water, which is located near Rea's Wood.Professor Elliott said the blooms of algae can release toxins and can be identified as a "messy green colour" in the water.
Use a Front Clip Harness to Prevent Pulling on Leash. If your dog pulls on his leash get a harness that clips in the front. The harnesses that clip on the back promote more pulling. And when you’re working on leash manners ditch the retractable leash for a regular 6 foot one so your dog can get the feeling of what loose leash walking means.
He said: "In the vast majority of cases those blooms are fine, apart from being a bit of an eye-sore".
The academic believes toxins from algae could have killed the two dogs (Image: Getty)Dogs are one of the most susceptible species to the toxins found in algae (Image: Getty)
Dogs do dream! Dogs and humans have the same type of slow wave sleep (SWS) and rapid eye movement (REM) and during this REM stage dogs can dream. The twitching and paw movements that occur during their sleep are signs that your pet is dreaming
But, he said that in some cases, the algae can produce quite toxic substances which are then released into the water.However, the Northern Ireland Environment Agency said there was no visual evidence of algae bloom, or pollution.
They also said, "no blue-green algae have been found in the sample analysed".The Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs confirmed it learnt about the death of a dog in that area on May 5.
READ MORE: Can a pet psychic help me read my dog's mind?Northern Ireland Environment Agency said there was no visual algae bloom in the water (Image: Getty)
It said: "Further reports were received that a second dog had died in similar circumstances."
Watch that plate of cookies! A Dog’s sense of smell is 10,000 – 100,000 times more acute as that of humans.
But the investigation remains ongoing.Professor Elliott, who is the founder of the Institute for Global Food Security, said humans would need to be exposed to a large amount of the toxins "to have any kind of dramatic acute effect" on their health.
But he said, "dogs are one of the most susceptible species to these toxins".DON'T MISS: 5 animal statues to bring good luck into your home [COMMENT]Rescue dog still waiting to be picked after one year in kennels [ANALYSIS]Dog owners can save hundreds of pounds per year with top tips [INSIGHT]The academic warned that children and pets should stay away from the water (Image: Getty)The professor, who lives nearby, said: "Normally I take my dog for a walk through Rea's Wood and at the moment I will not be taking my dog there.
This softens the kibble and makes the food much easier to chew.
"That would be my advice to everybody."
The council said any dog owner who is concerned about their pet should seek veterinary advice.In a statement, the local council said: "We are working with the dog owners, local vets and our colleagues in DAERA to best establish the full circumstances."
- Dog owners are ‘happier’ than those without a four-legged companion
- Dogs and hepatitis link being explored - Dr Ellie offers advice
- Hundreds of cats and dogs killed in Russian attack on animal shelter