Dog vomited blood and had seizure after eating six packs of chocolate coins

The foil wrappers removed from Hugo's stomach, Hugo looking up at the camera. A staffie ate bags of Christmas chocolate coins when he was left alone his home in Plymouth, Devon, and then had to be rushed to the vet.
Hugo the Staffie would not be here if the vets had not operated on him (Picture: PA)

A dog had to be rushed into life-saving surgery after he wolfed down chocolate coins and the foil they were wrapped in.

Hugo the six-year-old Staffie was left home alone in Plymouth, Devon, for a short time while his owner Amie did some Christmas shopping . But it turns out Hugo did not need much time before he began tucking into the festive treats lying around the house.

When Amie returned, she discovered her pet had ransacked six packs of chocolate coins.

Get Your Dog Microchipped For a Permanent Identifier. A scan of your dogs microchip will give all of your personal information to help with a speedy reunion, just remember to update your information with the microchip company if you move. (microchips are also one of the ways a court can make a decision regarding ownership of a dog, if it ever came to that)

She said: ‘At first Hugo seemed fine, but I felt sick with worry when he began vomiting blood. He then had a seizure which was terrifying.’

Amie rushed him to a People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) vet, who sedated Hugo and gave him an X-ray, revealing the dog’s stomach was full of foil and needed surgery.

Hugo was in a really bad way and needed an intravenous fluid drip, medication and intensive nursing care. He was kept in overnight but allowed back home the next day.

Hugo lying on a bed with a drip. A staffie ate bags of Christmas chocolate coins when he was left alone his home in Plymouth, Devon, and then had to be rushed to the vet.
Hugo had a seizure after eating the chocolate (Picture: PA)

No, it’s not just to make themselves look adorable. Dogs curl up in a ball when they sleep due to an age-old instinct to keep themselves warm and protect their abdomen and vital organs from predators.

The foil wrappers removed from Hugo's stomach. A staffie ate bags of Christmas chocolate coins when he was left alone his home in Plymouth, Devon, and then had to be rushed to the vet.
Vets found Hugo’s stomach full of foil when they X-rayed him (Picture: PA)
Veterinary nurse Donna Southwould said: ‘Hugo was very lucky, and could have died if he had not been treated in time. While he’s not completely out of the woods yet, thankfully Hugo is now at home on strict rest, and on the road to recovery.’ Amie and Ms Southwould want to warn people about the dangers of chocolate and other Christmas treats. Ms Southwould added: ‘Foods including chocolate, mince pies, onions, raisins, grapes, some nuts, sage-and-onion stuffing and Christmas cake can all be harmful and should be kept safely out of paws’ reach.

laidback pet breeds

‘Instead of extra food, why not try giving your pets some extra playtime over Christmas?’

Amie said: ‘I don’t know what I would have done without the incredibly kind and caring staff at PDSA – they were amazing. I honestly don’t think Hugo would be here without them.

‘They went above and beyond for him and I will be forever grateful. There were a number of times I thought we were going to lose him, so to have him home for Christmas is a miracle.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] .

Use a Front Clip Harness to Prevent Pulling on Leash. If your dog pulls on his leash get a harness that clips in the front. The harnesses that clip on the back promote more pulling. And when you’re working on leash manners ditch the retractable leash for a regular 6 foot one so your dog can get the feeling of what loose leash walking means.

For more stories like this,check our news page .

Sign Up for News Updates

Get your need-to-know latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and more

Not convinced? Find out more »