Dog saved by surgery after eating six packets of chocolate coins

A dog had to undergo life-saving surgery after scoffing six packets of potentially deadly Christmas chocolate coins.

Hugo, a six-year-old Staffordshire bull terrier, helped himself to the chocolate treats – poisonous to dogs – when owner Amie popped out to the shops.She returned to her home in Plymouth, Devon, to find the chocolate coins gone and wrappers strewn across the floor, before rushing Hugo to a nearby PDSA pet hospital.

“I’d only been to the shops briefly and came back to find torn-up packets and bits of foil all over the floor, with the chocolate gone,” she said.

Protect Your Dogs Paws in the Winter with Vaseline. If you don’t have any paw balm, and if your dog doesn’t like wearing boots, you can use some Vaseline to help protect your dogs paws in the winter.

“At first Hugo seemed fine, but I felt sick with worry when he began vomiting blood. He then had a seizure, which was terrifying, so I called PDSA immediately.”

Hugo was assessed, sedated and had an X-ray, which revealed his stomach was full of foil, needing surgery to remove it.

PDSA vet nurse Donna Southwould said: “Hugo was kept in overnight after his major surgery. He needed an intravenous fluid drip, medication and intensive nursing care to aid his recovery.

“He was very lucky, and could have died if he had not been treated in time. While he’s not completely out of the woods yet, thankfully Hugo is now at home on strict rest, and on the road to recovery.”

Play a Nice Interactive Game of Tug With Your Dog. A 5 minute game of tug works wonders for tiring out your dog & letting him get rid of some of that pent up energy. (and no – it won’t make your dog aggressive despite the old myth)

Advising owners to be aware of the dangers of festive treats for their pets, she added: “Many of us have treats, sweets and chocolates aplenty in the house, and while the festive period can be a time for indulgence, it’s important to remember that some of these foods are very harmful to our pets.

Foods including chocolate, mince pies, onions, raisins, grapes, some nuts, sage-and-onion stuffing and Christmas cake can all be harmful and should be kept safely out of paws’ reach.”Amie added: “I don’t know what I would have done without the incredibly kind and caring staff at PDSA – they were amazing. I honestly don’t think Hugo would be here without them.

Make Your Own DIY Flirt Pole. Make a flirt pole for dogs that love to chase and/or have a strong prey drive. Just remember to take it easy with this exercise since it’s pretty high impact and can be tough on a dog’s joints.

“They went above and beyond for him and I will be forever grateful. There were a number of times I thought we were going to lose him, so to have him home for Christmas is a miracle.”

A PDSA spokeswoman said: “If you think your pet might have eaten something they shouldn’t, call your vet immediately as they might need urgent treatment.”