Dog rushed into surgery after eating 34 gingerbread Christmas tree decorations

Dog needed life-saving surgery after swallowing 34 Gingerbread Christmas tree decorations
Vets removed 34 of these Gingerbread biscuits with ribbons from the dog’s stomach (Picture: PA)

Vets are warning pets owners about ‘incredibly harmful’ decorations after a dog nearly died from eating gingerbread biscuits attached to a Christmas tree.

Marley, a seven-year-old Labrador, needed two life-saving operations after gorging on 34 of the biscuits.

He became seriously ill because ribbons attached to the biscuits caused a potentially fatal blockage.

His owner Rachael Bulmer, from Bournemouth, rushed the dog to a local PDSA hospital where vets removed the decorations.
Ms Bulmer, 37, said: ‘I had been baking gingerbread tree decorations, and left them in gift bags on the kitchen counter side, ready to give as Christmas treats.
Undated handout photo issued by the PDSA of Marley, a seven-year-old labrador who has undergone two lifesaving operations after gorging on more than 30 home-made gingerbread Christmas tree decorations, at the charity's Pet Hospital in Bournemouth. PA Photo. Issue date: Monday December 2, 2019. Owner Rachael Bulmer, from Bournemouth rushed her pet, Marley, to the PDSA Pet Hospital in the Dorset town after it became seriously ill where vets performed emergency surgery on it to remove ribbons attached to the biscuits. See PA story ANIMALS Decorations. Photo credit should read: PDSA/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.
He underwent two lifesaving operations at the PDSA Pet Hospital in Bournemouth (Picture: PA)
Undated handout photo issued by the PDSA of some of the gingerbread Christmas tree decoration biscuits that Marley, a seven-year-old labrador, gorged on, and as a result he had to undergo two lifesaving operations. PA Photo. Issue date: Sunday December 22, 2019. Owner Rachael Bulmer, from Bournemouth rushed her pet, Marley, to the PDSA Pet Hospital in the Dorset town after it became seriously ill where vets performed emergency surgery on it to remove ribbons attached to the biscuits. See PA story ANIMALS Decorations. Photo credit should read: PDSA/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.
The dog had gorged on gingerbread biscuits attached to a Christmas tree (Picture: PA)

‘I thought I’d left them safely out of reach, but when I noticed some were gone, I instantly knew who had taken them.

‘Over the years Marley’s been no stranger to eating things he shouldn’t and usually they pass through.

‘But this time he started acting strangely and looked like he was going into shock. He was violently sick and brought up some of the ribbon.’

Make Your Dog Their Own Digging Box. If your dog loves to dig keep you can keep your garden safe by teaching them to use their very own digging box.

Staff at the PDSA Hospital in Poole, Dorset, also found that Marley had swallowed a number of bones which had also become lodged in his stomach. Senior vet Aoife Clancy said: ‘It was a lengthy, high-risk surgery.
Undated handout photo issued by the PDSA of Marley, a seven-year-old labrador who has undergone two lifesaving operations after gorging on more than 30 home-made gingerbread Christmas tree decorations, at the charity's Pet Hospital in Bournemouth. PA Photo. Issue date: Monday December 2, 2019. Owner Rachael Bulmer, from Bournemouth rushed her pet, Marley, to the PDSA Pet Hospital in the Dorset town after it became seriously ill where vets performed emergency surgery on it to remove ribbons attached to the biscuits. See PA story ANIMALS Decorations. Photo credit should read: PDSA/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.
Marley is now making a recovery thanks to the ‘incredible’ PDSA staff (Picture: PA)
‘Marley’s chances of surviving the night were looking poor, so he was transferred to the out-of-hours provider, Vets Now, so he could be cared for overnight.

‘Thankfully he pulled through but needed critical round-the-clock care for four days before he could go home.’

An undated photograph released on December 21, 2019 by Buckingham Palace shows Britain's Queen Elizabeth, Prince Charles, Prince William, and Prince George preparing special Christmas puddings in the Music Room at Buckingham Palace, as part of the launch of The Royal British Legion's Together at Christmas initiative in London, Britain. Chris Jackson/Handout via REUTERS THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. NEWS EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NO COMMERCIAL USE (INCLUDING ANY USE IN MERCHANDISING, ADVERTISING OR ANY OTHER NON-EDITORIAL USE INCLUDING, FOR EXAMPLE, CALENDARS, BOOKS AND SUPPLEMENTS). THIS PHOTOGRAPH IS PROVIDED TO YOU STRICTLY ON CONDITION THAT YOU WILL MAKE NO CHARGE FOR THE SUPPLY, RELEASE OR PUBLICATION OF IT AND THAT THESE CONDITIONS AND RESTRICTIONS WILL APPLY (AND THAT YOU WILL PASS THESE ON) TO ANY ORGANISATION TO WHOM YOU SUPPLY IT. THE PHOTOGRAPH MUST NOT BE DIGITALLY ENHANCED, MANIPULATED OR MODIFIED IN ANY MANNER OR FORM AND MUST INCLUDE ALL OF THE INDIVIDUALS IN THE PHOTOGRAPH WHEN PUBLISHED. ALL OTHER REQUESTS FOR USE SHOULD BE DIRECTED IN WRITING TO THE PRESS OFFICE AT BUCKINGHAM PALACE. NOT FOR USE AFTER 5TH JANUARY 2020. MANDATORY CREDIT. NO RESALES. NO ARCHIVES NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.Prince George and the Queen make Christmas puddings at Buckingham Palace

Ms Bulmer said: ‘There were so many times we thought that was it, and with the heaviest of hearts, we were preparing to say goodbye to him.

‘But he kept on fighting, and somehow, made it through surgery- he really is our miracle dog.’

She thanked the ‘incredibly kind and caring staff’ at the hospital.

Undated handout photo issued by the PDSA of Marley, a seven-year-old labrador who has undergone two lifesaving operations after gorging on more than 30 home-made gingerbread Christmas tree decorations, at the charity's Pet Hospital in Bournemouth. PA Photo. Issue date: Sunday December 22, 2019. Owner Rachael Bulmer, from Bournemouth rushed her pet, Marley, to the PDSA Pet Hospital in the Dorset town after it became seriously ill where vets performed emergency surgery on it to remove ribbons attached to the biscuits. See PA story ANIMALS Decorations. Photo credit should read: PDSA/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.
The dog became violently after gorging on a number of biscuits decorated with ribbons (Picture: PA)
Marley is now beginning to recover after the treatment which cost PDSA more than £2,000 and was paid for by public donations.

On a hot summer day, fill up an inflatable pool with water and ice.

In a warning pet owners, Ms Clancy said: ‘It’s important that owners make sure decorations and toxic Christmas foods are safe from curious paws, as they can be incredibly harmful to our pets. ‘Foods including mince pies, chocolate, onions, raisins, grapes, macadamia nuts, sage-and-onion stuffing and Christmas cake can all be fatal.

‘Keep an eye out for signs including vomiting, diarrhoea, drinking excessively, shaking and restlessness.

‘It’s best to contact the vet as soon as you think your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t, rather than waiting for symptoms.’