Dog poo left on pitch left rugby player with life-changing injury for 17 years

Darryl Adams says his leg has ‘never been right’ since the incident (Picture: Media Drum World)
Dog poo left on a rugby pitch in Wales has left a man with life-changing injuries. Darryl Adams, 50, was rushed to hospital in 2005 after he was stamped on with rugby boot studs covered in faeces. The studs of the boot had pierced through the skin of Darryl’s shin, transferring dangerous bacteria. His leg has ‘never been right since’ and Darrly is now urging dog owners to pick up after their pets. He told the Liverpool Echo: ‘I ended up having a week in hospital and the doctor who treated me said that once you get cellulitis.

laidback pet breeds

‘All it takes is something small to trigger it off again.

WALES: THIS RUGBY player has revealed how a DOG POO infection has left him unable to play for nearly TWO DECADES. Grandad Darryl Adams (50) from Wales was hospitalised in 2005 after his shin was stamped on with rugby boot studs covered in dog poo during a game in a Blaenau Gwent playing field. The poo, which had been left on the field by a negligent dog owner, infected the cuts made by the boot on his skin, and caused a cellulitis infection. mediadrumimages/DarrylAdams
Grandad Darryl Adams from Wales has been suffering for 17 years following the incident (Picture: Darryl Adams)
WALES: THIS RUGBY player has revealed how a DOG POO infection has left him unable to play for nearly TWO DECADES. Grandad Darryl Adams (50) from Wales was hospitalised in 2005 after his shin was stamped on with rugby boot studs covered in dog poo during a game in a Blaenau Gwent playing field. The poo, which had been left on the field by a negligent dog owner, infected the cuts made by the boot on his skin, and caused a cellulitis infection. mediadrumimages/DarrylAdams
The sporting injury had lifelong ramifications for Darryl (Picture: Darryl Adams)

‘The infection flared up twice between 2005 and 2013. The last flare up in 2013 was the worst.

‘All it took was heavy flu to trigger it and I was hospitalised for two weeks because the infection had tracked into my veins.

‘Ever since then my leg has never been right, it is constantly swollen and looks awful.

‘All from some selfish person who couldn’t be bothered to pick up after their dog.’

Use baking soda to get dog urine out of carpet. If you don't happen to have a product like Nature's Miracle on hand (maybe you're traveling or at a friends house), pour some baking soda over the spot, let it sit, and then sweep or vacuum it up.

Dog faeces carry deadly bacteria that can cause serious health problems in situation’s such as Darryl’s.

The bacteria can lead to infection, asthma or even blindness.

People have been urged to take due care to pick up their pet’s mess, especially as bacteria can live on in the soil.

Lesley Jones, chief executive of Keep Wales Tidy, said: ‘We urge the minority of irresponsible dog owners to do the right thing and pick up after their pets.

‘By not picking up after your dog, you could be putting people at risk. Darryl’s story highlights just how harmful dog poo can be for people.

Apparently, dogs can be trained to use a scratching post just like cats! Get the directions for how to build a giant dog nail file here.

‘Dog poo isn’t just an unpleasant mess, it can be dangerous. Please bag it, bin it and leave only paw prints when you’re out and about.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] .

For more stories like this,check our news page .

Sign Up for News Updates

Get your need-to-know latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and more

Not convinced? Find out more »