Dog needs life-saving surgery after swallowing 26 golf balls

Alfie, and the golf balls he swallowed
Nick Balldo: Alfie the dog swallowed 26 golf balls, rubber gloves and string (Picture: SWNS)

A dog has recovered from life-saving surgery after it swallowed 26 golf balls that left it feeling more than a little under-paw.

Neil Taylor, 50, regularly takes his 10-year-old giant schnauzer for walks round a golf course near their home in Westerhope, Newcastle. Along the way, and unknown to Mr Taylor, Alfie would go off and gobble up golf balls. Neil only learned of his pooch’s penchant for all things putt-able when Alfie became ill at doggy day care and vomited four golf balls.
***EMABARGOED 2PM BST / 9AM EST JULY 3 2020*** The 26 golf balls removed from Alfie the dog's stomach. See SWNS story SWOCalfie. A family dog needed a life-saving operation after he swallowed a staggering 26 golf balls while out on walks with his owner. Dad-of-two Neil Taylor, 50 regularly walks Alfie, his 10-year-old giant schnauzer through a golf course near their home. But unbeknown to him, Alfie had been gobbling up stray golf balls during their recent walks. They only found out after Alfie became poorly at his doggy day car - and then proceeded to vomit up four golf balls in Mr Taylor's back garden.
Lost in the ruff: The 26 golf balls removed from Alfie the dog’s stomach (Picture: SWNS)

A trip to the vet – and a few barfed balls later – revealed total of 26 golf balls had got stuck inside his stomach.

The operation also revealed rubber gloves, a ball of string and bits of wood inside Alfie’s stomach.

Mr Taylor, who has owned Alfie since he was a puppy, said: ‘When I came home he was passed out in the back garden, and he only came too when I carried him into the house.

‘I only have one dog and he’s like my son. It was a huge relief when we were given the all clear by the vets.’

If you have a hard time brushing your dog's teeth, squeeze some enzymatic doggie toothpaste onto a Nylabone or rope toy and let your pooch go to town on it.

***EMABARGOED 2PM BST / 9AM EST JULY 3 2020*** Alfie the dog. See SWNS story SWOCalfie. A family dog needed a life-saving operation after he swallowed a staggering 26 golf balls while out on walks with his owner. Dad-of-two Neil Taylor, 50 regularly walks Alfie, his 10-year-old giant schnauzer through a golf course near their home. But unbeknown to him, Alfie had been gobbling up stray golf balls during their recent walks. They only found out after Alfie became poorly at his doggy day car - and then proceeded to vomit up four golf balls in Mr Taylor's back garden.
Alfie the dog is feeling better now (Picture: SWNS)

The operation was on June 16. Two days laters Alfie was home – with a vet bill of £2,500.

Mr Taylor works as a mechanical supervisor on a building site is married to his wife Helen and the couple has two children.

He said: ’He has been recovering well from the operation.

‘It’s lovely to have him acting like his normal, playful self again.

***EMABARGOED 2PM BST / 9AM EST JULY 3 2020*** Neil Taylor with Alfie the dog. See SWNS story SWOCalfie. A family dog needed a life-saving operation after he swallowed a staggering 26 golf balls while out on walks with his owner. Dad-of-two Neil Taylor, 50 regularly walks Alfie, his 10-year-old giant schnauzer through a golf course near their home. But unbeknown to him, Alfie had been gobbling up stray golf balls during their recent walks. They only found out after Alfie became poorly at his doggy day car - and then proceeded to vomit up four golf balls in Mr Taylor's back garden.
Neil Taylor with Alfie (Picture: SWNS)

‘We are currently in the middle of an insurance claim, and there is a likelihood we aren’t covered for an incident like this.

‘The vet bills are about £2,500, which we may now have to pay, but I’m not too bothered. If it means I get to keep my dog then I’m still a happy man.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] .

For more stories like this, check our news page .

Covid Free