Dog has emergency surgery after eating three feet of Christmas tinsel

Dog has emergency surgery after eating three feet of Christmas tinsel
German Shepherd Benji is currently recovering at home after consuming 80cm of tinsel (Picture: PA)
A German Shepherd was rushed to the vet after eating three feet of Christmas tinsel. Eight-year-old Benji had to undergo major surgery when X-rays showed 80cm of the sparkly decoration inside him. Olivia Mullen, 24, says she was shocked as it was completely out of character for her dog to eat anything from around the house.

The animal care assistant said: ‘This is the first time he’s ever done anything like this. He doesn’t even go after shoes or toys, so it was a total surprise.

‘The tree wasn’t up yet and he had actually gone rooting through a box. I was working and my mum called me to say he had eaten some tinsel.

Undated handout photo issued by Vets Now of Benji, an eight-year-old German Shepherd that has recovered from major surgery in Manchester after eating three feet of tinsel. PA Photo. Issue date: Friday December 20, 2019. Benji was taken for X-rays by owner Olivia Mullen, an animal care assistant, which showed 80cm of tinsel inside the dog's stomach. See PA story ANIMALS Tinsel. Photo credit should read: Olivia Mullen/Vets Now/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.
Benji’s owner Olivia Mullen says she was ‘an absolute mess’ when he was in surgery (Picture: PA)
Undated handout photo issued by Vets Now of an X-ray of Benji, an eight-year-old German Shepherd, that has recovered from major surgery in Manchester after eating three feet of tinsel. PA Photo. Issue date: Friday December 20, 2019. Benji was taken for X-rays by owner Olivia Mullen, an animal care assistant, which showed 80cm of tinsel inside the dog's stomach. See PA story ANIMALS Tinsel. Photo credit should read: Vets Now/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.
This X-ray shows three feet of tinsel inside Benji (Picture: PA)

‘I see poorly animals on a daily basis at work, but when it came to my own dog, I was an absolute mess … I was so upset and worried, but I knew he was in the best possible hands.’

Thankfully, Benji’s injuries are healing well and he is now at home. But David Owen, lead emergency vet at Vets Now’s Manchester hospital, warns shiny tinsel can be ‘very attractive to both dogs and cats’ and anything stringy can be ‘extremely dangerous’ if swallowed.

Make a Re-Stuffable Dog Toy. Does your dog go bonkers with stuffed toys? If your dog likes to rip stuffed animals apart you can make a re-stuffable dog toy.

He added: ‘In veterinary medicine, we call this a linear foreign body. If the tinsel anchors itself in the stomach, it can’t then pass through the intestines and can slowly cut through the tissue like cheese wire.

‘This can cause severe damage to the pet’s intestinal tract.

‘If you suspect your dog or cat has swallowed tinsel, or anything similar such as ribbon or thread, don’t wait for signs or symptoms to appear before you act.’

Vets Now claims it will see a 70% rise in cases around Christmas and New Year.