Dog chocolate warning: Labradoodle nearly dies after bingeing on Easter eggs

A GREEDY dog was rushed for emergency treatment after demolishing a dozen Creme Eggs and several bars of dark chocolate.

This Morning: Alice Beer issues warning over easter eggs

Sign up for FREE for latest news plus tips to save money and the environment Invalid email

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they'll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Bruce’s owner was worried sick when she discovered the labradoodle had raided the Easter chocolate cupboard. Chocolate can be fatal to cats and dogs as it contains the chemical theobromine which cannot be broken down by their digestive systems. Alison Rothery, from Hampshire, said: “We had the Easter chocolate high up in the larder, right at the back and actually on a shelf above where we thought he couldn’t possibly have reached.
“But I came down to find Bruce’s bed full of Creme Egg wrappers and chocolate bar wrappers. We must have left the door ajar and he had obviously sniffed his way in, stood up and helped himself.

“He actually didn’t seem out of sorts, just a bit over-excited, probably because of all the sugar. But when I realised just how much chocolate he had eaten I knew I needed to get help.

“The Creme Eggs were obviously a concern, but I was more worried about the dark chocolate as I knew that could be worse.READ MORE:Archaeologists baffled over new Hadrian's Wall theory

Don’t Let Your Dog Ride in the Back of Your Truck Unrestrained. An estimated 100,000 dogs die each year from riding in pickup beds each year, and that doesn’t take into account all of the injuries seen each year. Dogs in pickup beds are also at risk of being hit with debris that can cause injuries.

Bruno

Bruno needed emergency care after he binged on Easter chocolate. (Image: Vets Now)

Creme Egg dog

Bruno ate a dozen Creme Eggs and several bars of dark chocolate. (Image: Vets Now)

Love dogs?

A dogTeam Dogs (Image: GETTY)Join our brand new website TeamDogs now.When you get there, make sharing a picture of your dog in our Top Dogs feed your very brilliant first job.Maybe when you've done that, leave a recommendation to help fellow dog owners in the TeamDogs community.

“And although this was first thing, I couldn’t be sure if he’d just eaten them or he’d had them earlier in the night and he’d had them in his system for hours.”

Dark chocolate tends to have higher levels of theobromine, but it can also be found in white and milk chocolate. Even small amounts of chocolate can be toxic to pets and symptoms tend to occur any time from four to 24 hours after consumption.

Ms Rothery called her vet immediately and had to go to an out of hours clinic for Bruce to be given an injection to make him vomit the toxic chocolate.Dave Hollinshead, senior surgeon atVets Nowsaid: “While Creme Eggs are not particularly high in theobromine, dark chocolate is and it was clear Bruce had ingested a toxic amount.

Bruno

Bruno had a lucky escape. (Image: Vets Now)“After discussing the situation with his owners, our team in Salisbury gave Bruce an injection and he brought up a lot of chocolate and quite a few wrappers.

“Thankfully, after further checks, we were able to allow him home with a prescription of activated charcoal which helps to absorb any toxins left in the system.

Use a Magic Eraser to Get Rid of Drool Marks. Does your drool a lot? If so you’ve probably got a bunch of drool marks all over the house. You can say goodbye to scrubbing off those drool marks by getting yourself some magic erasers.

Easter eggs are obviously a big favourite at this time of year. But while they are a nice treat for adults and children, they are a real hazard for pets so do please take care.”

Bruno

If you suspect your pet has chocolate poisoning, you should contact your vet immediately. (Image: Vets Now)Ms Rothery was delighted to have Bruce home later that day. She said: “I had every faith in the staff and they did a brilliant job.

“He was a little sorry for himself for a day or so but was happily back to his old self after that.

“We’re taking absolutely no chances now. Ever since it happened, we’ve been putting any chocolate in the fridge and that’s where the Easter eggs will be going from now on.”

DON'T MISSKate and William 'felt betrayed' following fallout with Sussexes [ROYAL]Nearly 1 in 3 people failed to turn up to their coronavirus vaccine [COVID]Eamonn Holmes admits he woke up in pain as he thanks fans for support [CELEB]

Easter chocolate and dogs

Chocolate can be fatal for dogs. (Image: Getty)

If you suspect your pet has chocolate poisoning, you should contact your vet immediately. These are the common symptoms to look out for.

· Vomiting- this can sometimes include blood

· Heavy, rapid breathing

· Increased heart rate

· Restlessness

· Diarrhoea