'Discard like RUBBISH' Flea-riddled dog left to die in freezing car park

A FLEA-RIDDLED dog has become the latest victim of a winter pet dumping crisis after being left to die in a freezing car park.

Dog left to die in freezing car park

Tragic dog died as it was being rushed to vet (Image: RSPCA)

The dying pet was wrapped in a duvet and then stuffed into a bag before being dumped on a grass verge. Tragically, the elderly Staffie was still alive when someone came across the bag but was too weak to survive and died on the way to a vets. The RSPCA has launched an investigation into the abandonment, the latest in a worrying spate of sickly pets being discarded like rubbish rather being given veterinary care in the countdown to Christmas.

Over the past week there has been a marked spike in the number of pet dumpings reported by the country’s largest animal welfare charity.

Today the charity was appealing for information about the tan-coloured Staffie dumped in a car park at Hilsea, Portsmouth, on Wednesday, November 21.

“This poor dog has been discarded like rubbish and simply left to suffer when he was in desperate need of help,” said RSPCA inspector Charlotte Coggins, who is investigating the case.

“It’s heartbreaking to think of him alone and frightened having been left to die in a bag in this freezing weather.

Dog died on way to vets

Dumped dog died as it was being rushed to vets (Image: RSPCA)

The bag dying dog was put into

Dying dog was stuffed in this sports bag (Image: RSPCA)

We’re very grateful to the person who found him for showing kindness and compassion and caring for him in his final moments.

“He was alive when he was found but sadly died before arrival at our centre. He was riddled with fleas and had overgrown nails and muscle wastage on his head and a small growth on his right hock.”

Because the dog had not been fitted with a microchip, as legally required, the RSPCA have been unable to trace his owner or where he came from.

After being wrapped in a duvet, the dog was put into a black Adidas bag and then left to die. A memebr of the publi rushed him to the nearby RSPCA’s Stubbington Ark Animal Shelter but he died en route.

“We have no way of knowing where he came from, as he has no microchip, so we are appealing to the public to come forward with information,” added Inspector Coggins.

Anyone with information is being urged to call the charity’s confidential appeals line on 0300 123 8018 .