Missouri: Dog sets home on fire after turning on stoveSign up for FREE for latest news plus tips to save money and the environment Invalid email
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you've consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More infoVideo of the accident was shared by the Southern Platte Fire Protection District to warn owners of the risks unattended dogs could cause. The clumsy pup was filmed sniffing at a pan of grease left over the hob while leaning over the cooker's knobs, accidentally turning the stove on. Having found nothing to munch on, the dog stepped off the hob and could be seen moving around the kitchen as the pan heats up and smoke starts spreading upwards.
Socialize your pet. This is especially important for puppies. Again – behavior problems are the number one reason dogs don’t stay with their families and don’t get adopted by new families. Lack of proper socialization can result in inappropriate fears, aggressive behavior, general timidity, and a host of other behavior problems that are difficult to extinguish once a dog is mature.
As the dog leaves the kitchen, the pan can be seen bursting into flames as the grease ignited because of the heat.
Flames can then be seen spreading through the rest of the room.
Additional video from the internal security camera shows smoke slowly building up around the dining room before the stove lights up in a flash.
The dog's owners were reportedly not at home at the time of the fire.
JUST IN: Dog owners warned of 'silent killer' as pets could be put at risk in boiling weatherThe dog sparked the fire after accidentally turning the stove on (Image: SOUTHERN PLATTE FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT)The fire ripped through the kitchen after the grease ignited (Image: SOUTHERN PLATTE FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT)Firefighters in Parkville, Missouri intervened to tackle the blaze and rescue two dogs left inside the home after neighbours started spotting smoke coming out of the property
The Kansas City Fire Department said there were no injuries but that the home was severely damaged.Division Chief Chris Denney said: "New appliances have are being seen with touch controls that activate by the simple touch of a finger.
Use a Food Dispensing Toy for Fast Eaters. If your dog eats too fast use a food dispensing toy (we love the Kong Wobbler & Bob a Lot), or place a few tennis balls in their bowl to slow their eating. Not only does this keep them from eating too quick, it gives them a nice mental workout.
"An animal's paw can also activate these types of controls.
READ MORE: Five whimpering puppies found dumped in box in park by shocked member of the public
Black Country: Dashcam footage shows man carrying dog by neckThe dog and another pup were rescued from the fire without injuries (Image: SOUTHERN PLATTE FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT)
"Please use built-in safeties if available on appliances when not in use and accessible by children and/or animals."
A report from the National Fire Protection Association found cooking was the main cause of home fires (48 percent) and fire-related home injuries (45 percent) between 2012 and 2016.
For Safety Keep Your Dog Restrained in the Car. I know that dogs love sticking their head out car windows – but it’s a dangerous habit. They’re at risk for being hit with debris, damaging their ears & there’s always the risk that they’ll see something & jump out. If you’re going to be driving over 20 mph it’s always recommended to have your dog restrained in the car.
The activity was also listed as the second most common cause of home fire deaths (21 percent).DON'T MISS:‘Adding to their distress’ Dog warning over signs pet could attack [REVEAL]Neighbour's dogs drive mum out of her home and onto antidepressants [ANALYSIS]How to keep conservatories cool: 5 best ways from an expert [ INSIGHT]
- Expert warns about five ‘worst’ dog breeds to take home
- Man 'won't pay puppy support' after his dog gets another pregnant
- Cute spaniel Buster searching for a new home