Dog dies after eating brownies that contained sweetener

Dog dies after eating brownies that contained sweetener

Ruby, a Hungarian Vizsla, had cheekily stolen two brownies which contained Xylitol, a form of sweetener, which is toxic to dogs and can cause liver failure (Picture: Caters) Owner Kate Chacksfield, 51, was left heartbroken when Ruby died on October 19 2018 just eight days after falling ill – despite her owners spending £10,000 in a bid to save her life.

Why you should never give your dog a mince pie

Why you should never give your dog a mince pie

Everything was not fine, though, and the search revealed that the raisins in mincemeat can be fatal to dogs, causing unnoticeable kidney failure which can lead to death within 48 hours.

Dog news: Should I be worried about toxic algae?

Dog news: Should I be worried about toxic algae?

Dogs are typically very ill and need immediate intensive veterinary treatment to survive.The risk to cats is smaller as they are unlikely to swim but may come into contact with the algae on the banks of an affected lake.David Grant MBE was a vet at the RSPCA Harmsworth Hospital for Animals.

Alabama rot: The deadly disease killing increasing numbers of dogs in the UK and how can you protect your pet

Alabama rot: The deadly disease killing increasing numbers of dogs in the UK and how can you protect your pet

Dog owners have been warned to avoid walking their pets in muddy areas amid a rise in cases of a disease called Alabama rot. Alabama rot, otherwise known as CRBV, is a disease caused by damage to the blood vessels of the skin and kidneys, according to Anderson Moores Veterinary Specialists.