Warning after dog’s paws were burned off when he walked on icy grass

A dog owner has issued a warning after her dog’s paws were burned off after walking on the icy grass.

Sarah Garner, 31, was taking her seven-year-old Border Collie, Chase, for a walk on The Hams, Kempsey, at 5.30am on Thursday.

After noticing that her pooch was refusing to walk, and seeing blood on the grass, the Senior Client Care Manager quickly checked his paws to see what damage had been done.

PICS BY SARAH GARNER / CATERS NEWS (PICTURED : Chases paws which were burned by the ice when he went on a frosty walk on 31 January) - A doting owner has issued a warning after her dogs paws were BURNED off after walking on the icy grass. Sarah Garner, 31, was taking her seven year old Border Collie, Chase, for a walk on The Hams, Kempsey, at 5.30am on 31 January. After noticing that her pooch was refusing to walk, and seeing blood on the grass, the Senior Client Care Manager quickly checked his paws to see what damage had been done. Examining his paws, Sarah saw that the bottom of his feet had been burned away due to the ice that had set overnight on the floor. - SEE CATERS COPY
Sarah Garner, 31, was taking her seven-year-old Border Collie, Chase, for a walk on The Hams, Kempsey, at 5.30am on Thursday. (Picture: Caters News Agency)

Checking his paws, Sarah saw that the bottom of his feet had been burned away due to the ice that had set overnight on the ground.

Read also:   From new born baby wombats, to the Messi the pet puma and beyond- it’s been a vintage year for good boys and interminably cute critters.
thumbnail for post ID 8428080Britain's youngest female paedophile, 17, was groomed from the age of 13

Chase was then rushed to the vet where his feet were cleaned, dressed and he was administered with pain relief before receiving laser treatment to help with the healing – resulting in him being left unable to walk for the next two weeks.

Sarah, from Worcester, said: ‘When we were coming back from our normal morning walk we noticed blood on the frosty grass and that Chase was not wanting to walk.

PICS BY SARAH GARNER / CATERS NEWS (PICTURED : Chase at the vets receiving laser treatment to process the healing of his paws) - A doting owner has issued a warning after her dogs paws were BURNED off after walking on the icy grass. Sarah Garner, 31, was taking her seven year old Border Collie, Chase, for a walk on The Hams, Kempsey, at 5.30am on 31 January. After noticing that her pooch was refusing to walk, and seeing blood on the grass, the Senior Client Care Manager quickly checked his paws to see what damage had been done. Examining his paws, Sarah saw that the bottom of his feet had been burned away due to the ice that had set overnight on the floor. - SEE CATERS COPY
Sarah Garner was horrified to see that the bottom of his paws had apparently burnt off (Picture: Caters News Agency)
Create Your Own Doggie First Aid Kit. You never know when an accident might happen so it’s recommended to have a first aid kit on hand just in case. Here’s a great list of basic items a pet first aid kit should have.

‘I could see that the bottom of his paws had appeared to burn off, so my partner quickly picked him up and rushed him to the car.

‘We went straight to the vets where he had his feet cleaned, dressed and he was given some pain relief and then we decided he should have laser treatment to help the healing process.

‘The vets think he will be out of action for the next two weeks, and he has to wear waterproof bags on his feet while the dressings are helping.

‘I’m sharing my story in hope that people will realise the damage the cold can do to a dogs paws and either refrain from taking them out when it’s really cold, or get them snow shoes.’

Read also:   Dog rescued from floating sofa a week after Hurricane Florence submerged home
PICS BY SARAH GARNER / CATERS NEWS (PICTURED : Chase on a snow walk before the incident) - A doting owner has issued a warning after her dogs paws were BURNED off after walking on the icy grass. Sarah Garner, 31, was taking her seven year old Border Collie, Chase, for a walk on The Hams, Kempsey, at 5.30am on 31 January. After noticing that her pooch was refusing to walk, and seeing blood on the grass, the Senior Client Care Manager quickly checked his paws to see what damage had been done. Examining his paws, Sarah saw that the bottom of his feet had been burned away due to the ice that had set overnight on the floor. - SEE CATERS COPY
She has issued a warning to other dog owners (Picture: Caters News Agency)
PICS BY SARAH GARNER / CATERS NEWS (PICTURED : Chase when he received his snow boots to protect his feet from the cold weather) - A doting owner has issued a warning after her dogs paws were BURNED off after walking on the icy grass. Sarah Garner, 31, was taking her seven year old Border Collie, Chase, for a walk on The Hams, Kempsey, at 5.30am on 31 January. After noticing that her pooch was refusing to walk, and seeing blood on the grass, the Senior Client Care Manager quickly checked his paws to see what damage had been done. Examining his paws, Sarah saw that the bottom of his feet had been burned away due to the ice that had set overnight on the floor. - SEE CATERS COPY
Sarah has now bought Chase a pair of snow boots to stop him from hurting himself next time they go for a walk (Picture: Caters News Agency)

Sarah has now bought Chase a pair of snow boots to stop him from hurting himself next time they go for a walk.

She said: ‘Once he’s allowed to go back out for walks he’s going to be wearing snow boots to stop this from happening again.

‘It’s really sad to see him how he is now, and see the evident pain that he went through, but hopefully with the shoes this won’t happen again.

‘I’d advise anyone to not walk their dogs in such cold weather, but if you do need to walk them invest in some paw boots to protect them.’

Stop Dog Hair From Clogging the Drain With a Baby Wipe. When you bathe your dog does their hair end up clogging up your drain? Use a baby wipe to help stop the dog hair from clogging it up.