Like a cat in a trap: Pet stuck fast in rat trap (Image: RSPCA)
The curious pet was left terrified after getting its head stuck in the opening of the commercial anti-vermin device. How long the poor animal had endured being held fast is a mystery but he was suffering from dehydration when he was eventually freed. The RSPCA today released pictures to show how the cat had been ensnared when he looked inside the trap on the prowl for food.
Luckily, someone spotted the cat with its head almost up to its shoulders in the trap near Langstone’s Premier Inn in Newport, Gwent, late at night earlier this week and alerted the animal welfare charity.
Read also: It was horrible to see and vets were absolutely sure the cause was antifreeze poisoning.”Smudge the pet cat had to be put to sleep (Image: RSPCA)Freya the cat the first victim to die (Image: RSPCA)The RSPCA has launched an investigation into the poisonings centred around the Lampeter Velfrey area of Whitland, Pembrokeshire, and today warned pet owners to be vigilant and report any information about the poisonings to its 24-hour emergency line.The first cat to die was Ms Davies’ black and white queen called Freya.
Once located, the cat was taken to a nearby vets to have the device removed. Although the cat’s head was held fast by the trap, he could not reach inside the bait box so there was no risk of him being poisoned.
RSPCA inspector Sophie Daniels said today: “This poor cat's head was completely wedged in this commercial rat box.
"It was lucky someone found him as he was dehydrated and unable to free himself."
Free at last. Rat trap cat sprung free by vets (Image: RSPCA)
Cat was left dehydrated after trap ordeal (Image: RSPCA)
Inspector Daniels added: “The RSPCA works 24/7 for animals in need and I was pleased to be able to rush to the scene in Langstone in the early hours of the morning, and ensure this cat was safely and securely freed from this device.”
Make your own pill pockets when you need to feed your dog some medicine.
Apart from being shaken and dehydrated by the experience, the black, male neutered cat was uninjured.
Because he was not microchipped, the RSPCA is appealing for his owners to come forward.
Inspector Daniels added: “We'd love to reunite this cat with an owner but there was no microchip.
"Anyone in the area owning a missing black, male neutered cat is urged to contact our inspectorate appeal line on 0300 123 8018, so we can hopefully get this curious cat home.”