When a homeless dog, who was suffering from a severe case of mange and a skin infection, wandered into a fire station on Tuesday, the firefighters of East Cleveland Fire Department knew they needed to get her help. According to Kim Wendel of wkyc3 News, “Fire personnel immediately called for help and a Good Samaritan took her to Crossroads Animal Hospital in Strongsville.”
Desperate dog knew where to look
Lt. Mike Celiga told wkyc3, the dog followed around one of his men for hours. He also said this isn’t the first time a stray has wandered into the station. “Unfortunately no tags, no license, no collars, sometimes they have a rope tied around their neck.”
Learn what you should put on your pet’s tags here >>
Now safe, recovering and even has a name
It was reported by wkyc that the dog is believed to be a 5-months-old Pit-bull mix, that probably once had a home. The sweet dog will need months of treatment before she can be spayed and vaccinated.
Wendel quoted Dr. Samantha Siclair of Crossroads as saying, “You see the dog that’s there, you want to say “eww gross” and judge, but underneath all that “eww gross” is just this sweet beast and a sweet animal that deserves love and care and it’s just hard to understand how she could’ve gotten this way.”
The dog had cuts, skin lesions and parasitic mites ever since she was a puppy, reported Wendel. Dr. Siclair diagnosed Demodex. Read more about this skin condition here >>
Wendel said Pit-bull rescue organization, Muttley Crue, will help,newly named Sistine, settle in foster care. We’re hoping for a speedy recovery for little Sistine!
Pet Health Network has reached out to Crossroads and Muttley Crue Rescue for further information on Sistine’s progress, check back for updates soon.
If you have any questions or concerns, you should always visit or call your veterinarian -- they are your best resource to ensure the health and well-being of your pets.