Dog rushed in for EMERGENCY SURGERY after swallowing toy poo emoji

AN ADORABLE pet is in the dog house after a poo drama at his owner’s home left him fighting for his life.

Teddy the Lhasa Apso looking mischievous

Playful Teddy the Lhasa Apso swallowed dog poo toy (Image: PDSA)

Rather than leaving a mess, the mischievous pooch swallowed a dog’s poo emoji toy and had to undergo emergency surgery. Teddy the Lhasa Apso went under the knife because vets could not get to the bottom of his serious illness. Only when they opened him up did they discover that the toy had caused a life-threatening blockage.

Owner, mother of three Kerry Worth, rushed Teddy to the PDSA’s Leicester Pet Hospital when he began vomiting violently and stopped eating.

PDSA vet Elly Brocklebank today described how Teddy was in a serious condition when he came in for urgent treatment out of hours.

The vet explained: “When we first saw Teddy he’d lost weight and was quite dehydrated as he hadn’t been eating or drinking much.

“The first scans and x-rays didn’t reveal a cause, but we couldn’t rule out a blockage as soft objects can look like normal gut contents. However, even after intensive care Teddy was still really poorly, and repeated imaging made us more suspicious there was something causing a blockage in Teddy’s guts. Untreated, this can be fatal, so we decided to carry out exploratory surgery to see if we could find the problem.

“When we got to his small intestine we found an object, which turned out to be a poo emoji soft toy. You think you've seen it all, but this really was a new one for us!”

Read also:   Hero dog walker saves pet with 'mouth to snout' resuscitation and CPR – 'Incredibly lucky'

Teddy with poo toy removed from bowel

Teddy with the dog poo toy removed from his gut (Image: PDSA)

The two-inch wide toy removed from Teddy

The two-inch dog's poo emoji toy removed from Teddy (Image: PDSA)

Naughty Teddy had managed to grab the toy off a key ring and hurriedly swallowed it down, putting his life at risk.

Mrs Worth, from New Parks, Leicester, explained how she had offered the toy keyring fob back to her 13-year-old daughter Tyla who passed on the idea.

She said: “Needless to say Tyla doesn’t want it back! Teddy has now made a full recovery and I’m so grateful to PDSA for everything the vets did as we would have really struggled to afford the cost of his treatment. We’re now very careful not to leave anything lying around that Teddy can get his paws on.”

Teddy with PDSA  vet Elly Brocklebank

Teddy with PDSA vet Elly Brocklebank (Image: PDSA)

For all the fears and concerns Teddy caused the family as his health went downhill rapidly, Mrs Worth says she could not help but smile when he came out of surgery.

She added: “We were really worried about him. At first I’d thought it might have been a virus but he was so unwell.

“When the vets told me all the problems were down to this fluffy poo emoji toy I couldn’t help but laugh, you really couldn’t make it up.

“At that point Teddy still had to recover from his surgery, but I was relieved that the vets had found the cause, and he seemed so much better almost straight away.”

PDSA veterinary teams regularly see cases of pets that have eaten unusual objects and, sadly, sometimes they can be fatal. Puppies and younger dogs are naturally curious and like to play with potentially dangerous or toxic objects with their mouths and can swallow them by mistake, causing gut blockages or damage.

Owners are advised to speak to their vet for advice as soon as possible if they suspect their pet has eaten something they shouldn’t have.

For more pet health advice visit www.pdsa.org.uk/taking-care-of-your-pet/pet-health-hub/symptoms/my-dog-has-eaten-something-harmful

Why are dogs’ noses so wet? Dogs’ noses secrete a thin layer of mucous that helps them absorb scent. They then lick their noses to sample the scent through their mouth.