Dog dies after eating brownies that contained sweetener

These are the heartbreaking images of a dog on life support before she died from eating chocolate brownies.

Ruby, a Hungarian Vizsla, had cheekily stolen two brownies which contained Xylitol, a form of sweetener, which is toxic to dogs and can cause liver failure.

Just 36 hours after, she became ill and deteriorated over the next week.

PIC FROM Caters News - (PICTURED: Ruby, a Hungarian Vizsla, from Acton, West London, died after eating chocolate brownies. Pictured on life support) - The heartbreaking images of a pooch on life support have been released by her owner after she tragically died from eating chocolate brownies. Ruby a Hungarian Vizsla had cheekily stolen two brownies which contained Xylitol, a form of sweetener, which is toxic to dogs and causes liver failure. Owner Kate Chacksfield, 51, was left heartbroken when Ruby fell ill 36 hours after consuming the brownies which she had only made in a bid to reduce her own sugar intake.SEE CATERS COPY
Ruby, a Hungarian Vizsla, had cheekily stolen two brownies which contained Xylitol, a form of sweetener, which is toxic to dogs and can cause liver failure (Picture: Caters)

Owner Kate Chacksfield, 51, was left heartbroken when Ruby died on October 19 2018 just eight days after falling ill – despite her owners spending £10,000 in a bid to save her life.

Read also:   She was saved by rescuers from Humane Society of Missouri (Picture: Caters News Agency)A friend of the owner came to collect the dog when it was saved on 25 September.

Kate is now sharing her story to raise awareness for the dangers of dogs consuming natural sweeteners.

Kate, a media and presentation coach from Acton, West London said: ‘I only made brownies with Xylitol in to reduce the amount of sugar I was eating.

‘But while I was out, Ruby managed to get into the container off the side in the kitchen and eaten a couple.

‘She seemed fine at first and it wasn’t until a couple of days later she began being violently ill and I took her to the vets.

‘I had no idea how serious eating natural sweeteners was for dogs, the photos of her on life support still make me cry.

INTERESTING FACT ABOUT YOUR PET: Nearly 80 million U.S. households have a pet, and 42 percent of those households have more than one, according to a 2015-2016 survey by the APPA. There are 77.8 million pet dogs in the U.S. and 85.8 million pet cats.
PIC FROM Caters News - (PICTURED: Ruby, a Hungarian Vizsla, from Acton, West London, died after eating chocolate brownies. Pictured on life support) - The heartbreaking images of a pooch on life support have been released by her owner after she tragically died from eating chocolate brownies. Ruby a Hungarian Vizsla had cheekily stolen two brownies which contained Xylitol, a form of sweetener, which is toxic to dogs and causes liver failure. Owner Kate Chacksfield, 51, was left heartbroken when Ruby fell ill 36 hours after consuming the brownies which she had only made in a bid to reduce her own sugar intake.SEE CATERS COPY
Ruby died on October 19 2018 just eight days after falling ill (Picture: Caters News)

‘We’ve had her since she was a puppy and I’m completely lost without her.’

Kate claims Ruby had stolen the chocolate brownies in the past and claims the vet had stated small amounts of chocolate aren’t too harmful to dogs her size.

Following previous experiences, Kate wasn’t too worried about Ruby this time until she began being sick.

Kate said: ‘Ruby began being violently sick so I rushed her to the vets so sent her home after checking her over.

‘But soon after she collapsed and we took her back as soon as possible – it was then they started treating her for rat poison because of her symptoms.

Read also:   The best animals of 2018

‘We just thought she may have eaten some by mistake in the park or something – it never crossed my mind to mention the brownies.’

PIC FROM Caters News - (PICTURED: Ruby, a Hungarian Vizsla, from Acton, West London, died after eating chocolate brownies. Pictured with owner Kate Chacksfield, 51) - The heartbreaking images of a pooch on life support have been released by her owner after she tragically died from eating chocolate brownies. Ruby a Hungarian Vizsla had cheekily stolen two brownies which contained Xylitol, a form of sweetener, which is toxic to dogs and causes liver failure. Owner Kate Chacksfield, 51, was left heartbroken when Ruby fell ill 36 hours after consuming the brownies which she had only made in a bid to reduce her own sugar intake.SEE CATERS COPY
Ruby pictured with owner Kate Chacksfield (Picture: Caters News)

As Ruby’s condition began to deteriorate, she was taken to The Royal Veterinary College, London, but died of liver failure and a suspected stroke.

It wasn’t until after Ruby’s death that vets asked if she may have consumed Xylitol which is when Kate realised her health deterioration was linked to the brownies.

She said: ‘I had absolutely no idea Xylitol was harmful to dogs what so ever and I was heartbroken when they told me and I knew it was too late for Ruby.

INTERESTING FACT ABOUT YOUR PET: Your dog can help get you a date! One study showed that a man’s chances of getting a girl’s phone number went from 10% to 33%, just by having a dog with them. In the study, a staggering 66% of men and women would not date someone who didn’t like pets.

‘I really, really urge other dog owners to read up on the dangers of Xylitol in dogs and urgently take their pets to the vet if they accidentally consume it as it could be the difference between life and death.’

Xylitol sweetener can be found in many products such as sugar free sweets and gum, some baking mixes, peanut butters and chocolate.

Kate says it takes just a quarter of a teaspoon to cause liver failure in dogs the size of a Labrador, and even less in smaller breeds.

She said: ‘We did everything we could to save Ruby – she was so loved and we all miss her dearly. We really had hope she would pull through so we were heartbroken when she didn’t.

Read also:   Good dog Kevin has been trained to do laundry to help out his owner

‘We’d love to be able to save other dogs from going through what Ruby went through by raising awareness on the dangers of Xylitol for dogs.

‘It takes just a quarter of a teaspoon of sweetener to harm a dog. If anyone has any concerns they can the Animal PoisonLine for advice.’