Peter and Tami Jenkins have witnessed six cats poisoned (Image: RSCPA)
Peter and Tami Jenkins say the latest victim was their young black cat called Button who staggered home with classic poisoning signs. Despite rushing the one year old tom cat to the vets, there was nothing that could be done and he was put to sleep to end his suffering. The Jenkins are now speaking out so that other cat owners do not suffer their nightmare.
Read also: It was horrible to see and vets were absolutely sure the cause was antifreeze poisoning.”Smudge the pet cat had to be put to sleep (Image: RSPCA)Freya the cat the first victim to die (Image: RSPCA)The RSPCA has launched an investigation into the poisonings centred around the Lampeter Velfrey area of Whitland, Pembrokeshire, and today warned pet owners to be vigilant and report any information about the poisonings to its 24-hour emergency line.The first cat to die was Ms Davies’ black and white queen called Freya.
- PET WARNING: Cats poisoned by antifreeze as gardeners fight frost in arctic temperatures
- Cat POISONER? Felines 'being targeted with deadly antifreeze'
Mr Jenkins, 54, from North Street, Burntwood, Staffordshire, said: “We are just devastated that this keeps happening.
"We love having cats and find it so worrying that this has happened time and time again.
“We have lived here for 15 years and had no issues until five years ago. Sometimes it makes you wonder if someone in the area has got something against cats in general.
“It is so upsetting when your pet comes to you and in obvious pain but there is nothing that can be done to save them.
For a dog who loves to tear apart stuffed animals, make a durable activity ball with a Hol-ee rubber ball, scraps of fabric, and treats.
Button is the latest poisoning victim (Image: RSPCA)
"I just want to warn other cat owners in the area to be aware of this and keep an eye on their own pets.
"Also, I want people in the area to check that they haven’t left any antifreeze around which cats would be able to get to. We don’t want anyone else going through what we have.”
As the RSPCA launches an investigation into the poisoning incidents, the Jenkins have revealed the tragic list of beloved pets they have lost since 2014.
There was Tommy, who died in November, 2014, aged nine, followed by Fudge, 14, who died the following month; Alfie, 11, who died in August, 2015; Ava, 11, in July, 2016, followed by her twin sister Maxi, a few weeks later.
Read also: Maniac targets family cat in sick blowdart attack A CHERISHED family cat has been targeted by a cruel animal abuser using home-made blowdarts.
Maxi was poisoned in 2016 (Image: RSPCA)
Button, who died seven weeks ago, had been out only few hours when he came home, looking lethargic and struggling to walk.
The effects of antifreeze poisoning can be visible between 30 minutes and up to three days after ingestion.
Symptoms include vomiting, looking depressed and sleepy or appearing drunk and uncoordinated. Seizures and breathing difficulties can follow.
It is a criminal offence to administer poison or dangerous drugs to animal.
Victim Ava with owner Tami Jenkins (Image: RSPCA)
RSPCA Inspector Kate Levesley is investigating the case. She said: “As there have been suspected antifreeze poisonings in the area we would urge all cat-owners to keep a close eye on their pets and their behaviour and if they suspect they have been poisoned we would advise they seek immediate veterinary attention.
Make sure your pet is in good company. Pets get lonely and depressed just like people do when they spend too much time alone. Cats are generally better on their own, but dogs and especially puppies don’t do well left to their own devices for extended periods of time.
“We would also ask people who are using antifreeze to make sure they are extremely careful in their storage of it and how they dispose of it.”
Anyone with information is urged to call the charity’s confidential appeals line on 0300 123 8018.