Cat poisoner fears after five animals die. (Image: RSPCA)
The RSPCA is still trying to find out if the five cats – three pets and two strays – were deliberately poisoned or fell victim to tragic accidents. Heartbroken owner Michelle Davies' three cats all showed the same signs of being poisoned. They were all lethargic and some had traces of blood in their mouths. “It is absolutely awful,” she said today. “We saw all of the cats display similar symptoms, becoming very lethargic and unwell so quickly. It was horrible to see and vets were absolutely sure the cause was antifreeze poisoning.”
Smudge the pet cat had to be put to sleep (Image: RSPCA)
Freya the cat the first victim to die (Image: RSPCA)
The RSPCA has launched an investigation into the poisonings centred around the Lampeter Velfrey area of Whitland, Pembrokeshire, and today warned pet owners to be vigilant and report any information about the poisonings to its 24-hour emergency line.
The first cat to die was Ms Davies’ black and white queen called Freya. Three days later her other pets, Sox and tortoiseshell Smudge, had to be put to sleep. Two feral cats from the same area are also feared to have been poisoned.
RSPCA Inspector Keith Hogben sympathised with Ms Davies as he investigates whether the cats were poisoned accidentally or if they had been deliberately targeted.
“To lose a cat is horrendous, but for three to experience such a horrible fate is unthinkable,” said Inspector Hogben.
“Indeed, the number of cats we understand have been poisoned in the area is a major cause for concern. We're urging cat owners in the local community to be vigilant and know the signs of a suspected poisoning.
“Vomiting, a depressed or sleepy demeanour, appearing drunk or uncoordinated, seizures, and breathing difficulties could all be symptoms of a cat being poisoned.
“Anyone fearing their cat may have been poisoned should try and remain calm, move the moggy away from the source and contact a vet immediately.”
Sox the cat who had to be put to sleep (Image: RSPCA)
As the animal charity investigates if the incident was deliberate or a tragic accident, it is reminding the public how antifreeze poses a threat to pets.
“Potentially hazardous substances, like antifreeze, should be used and stored responsibly, and safely away from any curious felines,” added Inspector Hogben. “The RSPCA does not know if these suspected poisonings were deliberate or a tragic accident, but anyone with information can call our emergency line.”
Anyone with information should call: 0300 1234 999 .